This homemade 2 Ingredient Apple Sauce is one of quickest and most easy recipes ever! The is no sugar added which makes it super healthy and it has plenty of uses! My whole family loves it!
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Apples, you guys! It’s time for apples and I, for one, could not be more excited!
Other parts of the country have certain things that they do amazingly well. Northern California has wine. Georgia rocks the peaches. Washington kills it with the cherries. Here in Western New York, we pump out some pretty incredible apples.
I mean, they’re tasty all year around. But once the weather cools down and the leaves start changing colors, it is prime apple picking season.
Now we haven’t actually gone apple picking yet, but I have been talking about it to A and she’s starting to get excited to do this. Our market has also been full of the most sweet, gorgeous apples. So we’ve been enjoying our fair share!
Apple Sauce has become a mainstay in our kitchen. Often we’re lazy and buy the jarred applesauce. I have no other excuse for this. It’s pure laziness.
I’m especially ashamed to admit my level of laziness on the applesauce front because I have the absolute easiest recipe to make it. It takes 20 minutes, minimal effort and just 2 ingredients!
You know what else I love about it? No sugar added. Now hopefully I haven’t lost those of you with a sweet tooth. Hear me out.
Apples are one of those fruits with a very high sugar content. That’s actually how Manhattan got it’s nickname The Big Apple. Because apples have tons of sugar in them and Manhattan has tons of money in it (I learned that fun fact many, many moons ago on one of these Circle Line Cruises around the island and it stuck with me!).
With this in mind, I willsay it again: no sugar added. Frankly, there’s no need. That being said, once in a while I will throw some cinnamon on top, but I’m letting that be an optional ingredient since not everyone loves cinnamon.
This apple sauce makes an incredibly refreshing side dish or dessert. It goes along beautiful with any meal of the day. I’m particularly fond of serving it with pork chops or with potato pancakes.
It’s also a great way to use up all those extra apples when you get a little overzealous on that apple picking excursion (Who, me? Never!).
It freezes beautifully. It tastes delicious warmed up or cold. It’s comfort food for kids as well as adults. And best of all, it’s insanely easy to make and very healthy!
Other great fall foods are:
This homemade 2 Ingredient Applesauce is one of quickest and most easy recipes ever! The is no sugar added which makes it super healthy and it has plenty of uses! My whole family loves it!
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 8-10 medium apples, peeled and cored (I used Cortland but feel free to use whatever variety you most enjoy)
- 1/4-1/2 cup of water
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
- Cut the apples into quarters and slice them as thinly as possible (the thinner they are, the quicker they cook down).
- Place them into a pot along with 1/4 cup of water (keep an eye on it and if you feel it's not enough you could always add an additional 1/4 cup of water. The key is you don't want it to be too watery).
- Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring frequently for around 15 minutes or until the apples are soft and beginning to break down.
- Use and immersion blender to blend the apples. You can do then smooth or chunk, depending on your taste.
- Sprinkle with Cinnamon if you'd like and enjoy!
You can alter this recipe for as many or as few apples as you have This keeps well for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator and also freezes beautifully.
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!