This Orange Cranberry Torte is so simple and easy to make and is the most delicious combination for sweet and tart. It’s even better when made the night before and is especially great for the holidays!
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Earlier in my pregnancy, I was browsing Smitten Kitchen. At risk of sounding like a hopeless fangirl, I have such a foodie-crush on Deb. Smitten Kitchen was the first blog I ever read (or at least remember reading). I’ve made countless recipes from Smitten Kitchen over the years and they’ve all been so delicious!
Being that I’m a lover of plums, when I found the Plum Torte that Deb blogged, based on a famous New York Times recipe, I pinned it to make and could not stop thinking about it until I finally found the most gorgeous plums at the public market. I got to work and could not believe how simple and quick this dessert was to make. And as mentioned in Deb’s post, it tastes even better when made the night before. My kind of recipe!
I made it for a dinner with some of my cousins and it was a huge hit! So I got to thinking. Wouldn’t this be a great option for Thanksgiving? The problem is, plums aren’t exactly readily available in these parts during November. And when I thought about some of my favorite holiday flavors, the combination of orange and cranberries kept popping into my head. So I made it once again with a few small changes and I could not have been more thrilled.
The tartness of the cranberry adds the most lovely zing and stands up well next to the sweetness of the torte and the subtle orange hints. While the plums still have my heart, I am thrilled with how this variation turned out and this Orange Cranberry Torte will have a happy home on our Thanksgiving dessert table for many years to come.
Other Great Holiday Meal Recipes:
This Orange Cranberry Torte is so simple and easy to make and is the most delicious combination for sweet and tart. It's even better when made the night before and is especially great for the holidays!
10 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
Yields 8 servings
- 1 cup of sugar + 1 Tbsp, divided
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 large pinch of salt
- The zest of one orange
- 1 cup of fresh cranberries
- 2 tsp. of fresh squeezed orange juice (use the orange you zested and then eat the rest!)
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 and spray down your pan with cooking spray (or better yet, line the bottom with parchment paper. The original recipe calls for a 9 inch spring form pan but I used an 8 inch, nonstick cake pan with no problem.
- Cream butter and the cup of sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs and mix until well combined.
- Add the next four ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. The batter will be sticky and that's ok.
- Spread the batter along the bottom of your prepared pan and smooth until even. Place the cranberries evenly over the top and followed by the orange juice and the cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until your cake tester comes out clean. You can serve once it's cooled or the next day (cover and leave out at room temperature. Enjoy!
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!