Orange Roll Monkey Bread is an easy and delicious twist on a family favorite recipe. It’s so simple to transform refrigerated Orange Cinnamon rolls in to a sweet and gooey pull apart bread. This is a great Christmas morning breakfast and easy enough to make the night before as well!
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Did someone say Christmas Morning?! Outside of some illness that is working it’s way through our home, we’re in full-on Christmas mode. The tree is up and A had an awesome time decorating it. We introduced our girls to the old Rudolph movie and I picked up the most adorable manger made with Peg People so A can play with it and I won’t have to worry about her breaking the special one that belonged to J’s Nanou.
As I’ve mentioned before, I never really did anything big in terms of food on Christmas morning until I joined J’s family. The Freimann’s don’t mess around when it comes to breakfast and I love that about
them us. A big, hearty Christmas breakfast is one of the traditions from his side that we’ve made a point to hold onto.
That’s not to say we were left to fend for ourselves on Christmas morning on my side of the family or anything like that. My mom usually had something sweet and delicious ready like my Grandma Eve’s Sour Cream Coffee Cake (I’ll be sharing that soon and you’ll be happy I did!) or Monkey Bread and a plate of fresh fruit.
Monkey Bread is a favorite in many American families, both for it’s easy preparation and it’s ooey-gooey cinnamon-sugary goodness! Made with cut up refrigerated biscuits, you can reach in and pull each sticky delicious piece apart which makes it fun for kids.
So one day I was daydreaming of food, as you do (or as I do anyway) and I was thinking about the various refrigerated dough/biscuits/cinnamon roll standbys that are out there. More specifically, I was thinking about my husband’s penchant for Pillsbury™ Orange Rolls with Orange Icing (please note, this is not a sponsored post, I just really like this product!).
Though I tend to be more of a cinnamon roll kind of gal, I’m not one to turn down an orange roll. Throwing a can of those puppies in the oven became a quick and easy way to let this man know I love him, particularly in the early part of our relationship when we rarely woke before 10am on a non-work day (and I’m not even talking about the very beginning when we both worked at a restaurant and spent many nights living it up until dawn in NYC- waking before noon was unheard of in those days!).
Back to my food-filled daydreams, it was at that moment that it occurred to me: why not use Orange Rolls to make Monkey Bread?! I mean, what usually happens when great things combine forces? The answer is usually great things. This case was no exception.
You still have the same ooey-gooey goodness, but with the most delicious and distinct orange flavor. If you want, you can probably even throw this together the night before, although it’s so quick and easy to make, there’s really no need. Speaking of flavor, I think the addition of the orange zest and the fresh squeezed juice really elevates this and makes it taste extra special, as any good Christmas morning food should!
I did my first test run of this the night before Thanksgiving. Once that deliciously-orange smell started making it’s way around the house, suddenly everyone was popping over to see what had just come out of the oven. Needless to say, we all dove in with zero shame (can I say once again, thank God I joined a family who also loves eating as much as I do!).
The great thing is, this is versatile enough to serve as the primary component for a light breakfast or among many delicious dishes if you’re planning a more grand brunch with family. But remember, it doesn’t have to be celebratory. If you make this on a random Saturday morning (or Wednesday night, like I did!) it will still be just as delicious and your day will likely still feel pretty celebratory!
Other great Christmas Morning options:
Yields 6-8 servings
Orange Roll Monkey Bread is an easy and delicious twist on a family favorite recipe. It's so simple to transform refrigerated Orange Cinnamon rolls in to a sweet and gooey pull apart bread. This is a great Christmas morning breakfast and easy enough to make the night before as well!
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- The zest of 1 orange
- 2 cans of refrigerated Pillsbury™ Orange Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice (use the orange you just zested and roll it before cutting to release more juices)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray your bundt pan with cooking spray
- In a plastic bag combine your granulated sugar, cinnamon and orange zest. Shake until well combined (I also used my fingers to break up and evenly distribute the orange zest).
- In a seperate bowl cimbine your butter, brown sugar and orange juice until fully combined. Set aside.
- Cut each orange roll into quarters and lightly roll each quarter so that it doesn't fall apart.
- Place all your orange roll pieces into your bag with the sugar mixture. Seal it well and shake until each piece of dough is fully coated in the sugar mixture.
- Place the entire contents of the bag into your prepared bundt pan.
- Pour your butter mixture evenly over the contents of the bundt pan. It will look too liqiudy but it's not- the dough with absorb all that delicious buttery mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Allow it to cool for around 10-15 minutes and then Turn it onto a plate and enjoy!
Freshly squeezed orange juice is best. This can be made the night before. If you want it to be extra sweet you can drizzle the orange icing over the top once you've plated the Monkey Bread- I find that it doesn't need it. Instead, I opted to stir a little bit of the icing into my coffee!
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration