Try this Roasted Beet Salad with Feta and Dill: it’s an easy side dish recipe and is a great alternative to the usual holiday sides. Served cold with citrus and olive oil as a dressing it is a healthy and fresh option for any season!
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
I’ve never been much of a fan of beets (what a way to start a post about a salad featuring beets, right?!). While I don’t dislike them, I don’t have a huge sweet tooth and I know their earthy flavor can be divisive.
Interestingly, if they’re part of a salad, I tend to leave them in because I’m ok with a bit of that earthy flavor seeping into my dressing. Weirdo.
All that to say, lately I’ve been working on expanding my palate and giving beets another chance (all we are saying, is give BEETS a chance!). I roasted them up with some other root veggies and chicken one night and they weren’t bad at all.
Another night I ate them along side some of my amazing 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Pork Chops (which I highly recommend!) and didn’t hate them. In fact, they inspired this salad that I’m sharing today.
During that second dinner, my Feta-obsessed mom made a comment in passing that she wished she had some feta to put over the beets she had served. Naturally, the wheels started turning, as they always seem to when I’m eating. So I got to work.
I knew I wanted some really thinly sliced red onions for crunch and flavor. Feta cheese was obviously a must! I felt vinegar might be a bit much in terms of dressing so I opted for olive oil and lemon juice for brightness. And I couldn’t resist chopping some fresh dill and throwing it in because I can never seem to get enough dill in my life.
The result was a crazy delicious and easy-to-make salad. Roasting the beets was a breeze- though I highly recommend using gloves when working with them if you don’t want to end up with pink hands (and it just-so-happens that we have a fabulous box of gloves that J grabbed when he was pillaging our hospital room after T was born! More on that here.).
Serve this at any dinner party or as a tasty alternative option to the usual suspects on your Thanksgiving table!
Other tasty veggie sides include:
Yields Enough to feed 4-6 people as a small side dish or 2 people as the main component
Try this Roasted Beet Salad with Feta and Dill: it's an easy side dish recipe and is a great alternative to the usual holiday sides. Served cold with citrus and olive oil as a dressing it is a healthy and fresh option for any season!
10 minPrep Time
1 hr, 15 Cook Time
1 hr, 25 Total Time
- 6-7 medium/large beets, cleaned well with stems and bottoms cut off
- Olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Around 1/3 of a red onion, thinly sliced
- Fresh dill, chopped
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and lay out a piece of foil for each beet you have.
- Place each beet into its piece of foil. Drizzle a small amount of oil into it and wrap each beet tightly so that the steam stays in the packet.
- Roast for 1 hour- check them for doneness (they should be fork tender) and if need be, bake for longer (mine took around 1 hours and 15 minutes).
- When the beets are done, refrigerate until they're cooled completely.
- Once they've cooled, peel off the skins (they should peel off really easily with your fingers or a knife, if you'd prefer) and cut them into bite-size wedges.
- Drizzle with a little oil and the juice of one lemon and top with red onion slices and dill, salt, pepper and feta cheese to taste.
- Mix well and enjoy!
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!