I made no secret about the fact that I did not particularly enjoy being pregnant. I mean think about it. In the beginning (or in some cases all of it) you fall somewhere on a scale of queasy to puking-your-guts-out and you generally feel like you’ve been run over by a truck at all times. They say that in the second trimester your energy comes back but I found that it lasted about 10 minutes before I started having back and rib pain. From there, the aches and pains only get worse as your baby pushes all of your organs in either direction and the sleep ends (preparation?). All the while you go from fluffy to chubby to pleasantly plump to Moby Dick status (unless you’re one of those pregnant women who looks hot the entire time in which case, you’re not my favorite person!). I really can’t even complain because I had it pretty easy compared to a lot of the women I know and at the end of the day I am blessed come out with a sweet, healthy, little baby, which is all you can really ask for. For real though, pregnancy is rough no matter how your slice it.
All that being said, there are a few aspects that I miss about pregnancy:
- Having my baby all to myself- That’s right. I’m greedy. While it’s such a joy to watch my loved ones interact with A, I really cherished the days when I had her all to myself. It was so cool to feel her moving around inside of me as a constant reminder that she was indeed there and growing. It was like my own special little (visible) secret. I sometimes miss those kicks.
- Eating- Once the dreaded first trimester food aversion passed, I could eat anything I wanted and never got indigestion or heartburn. As someone who has always had a weak stomach, this made me very happy and you can bet I took full advantage and ate a wide variety of food including spicy items. I did things in moderation but you can bet I ate.
- Feeling comfortable in a swimsuit- I know you’re probably thinking to yourself “wasn’t she just whining about getting bigger in the first paragraph?” Yes. I was. But hear me out. When I was pregnant, I felt very comfortable in a bikini and rocked it several times. I think it’s because it was obvious that I was pregnant. I’m almost ashamed to admit that I now do NOT feel comfortable in a one piece swimsuit, let alone a bikini. Yes, I get it, we should embrace our new bodies and all that. But I’m not ready to embrace my body’s new normal, at least not without some clothes on.
- Elastic waist bands- Because amazing. Why can’t all pants have elastic waist bands?
- Early pregnancy boobs- Before I got pregnant, I had the best boobs ever. Sorry to over share, but it’s true. They were so perky and just the right size. In early pregnancy, your boobs are in that sweet spot where they get extra full and awesome but before they get all scary and amazonian which happens in late pregnancy (and of course the after effects of breast feeding which leaves them sad and kind of anti-climactic).
What did you like about being pregnant?
Linked up at: