I hope everyone had a lovely Memorial Day weekend, I know we did! Every year, a close group of our friends heads down to Williamsburg, VA. Our friend Kyle’s parents, Kevin and Michelle, live in Williamburg and they invite us to spend the weekend at their beautiful home and see the sights. We always enjoy spending time with Michelle and Kevin because the are all-around great people and a lot of fun to hang out with!
Now as many of us know, there are some pretty fantastic historical attractions in Williamsburg. Since this is already familiar to many people, I’m going to skip over the truly historical attractions of that aspect, you can find information on those here. We did a few other pretty awesome things so I thought I’d share some of that for those of you who are looking for something besides the historical activities.
- Williamsburg Premium Outlets- I’d be lying if I said I didn’t spend too much money at these outlets this weekend. Seriously. If there was ever a testament to how truly patient J is, his easy-going reaction to the large amount of shopping bags I walked in with after a successful day at these stores is proof that he’s a saint. There really is something for everyone and the sales this past weekend were fantastic. I personally did a lot of damage at Gap, Banana Republic, Carters, American Eagle and Nike. Here’s where you can view current in-store promotions and if you join the VIP Shopper Club you can get access to tons of coupons which helped us save even more (and it’s free!).
- Golfing- While I’m not a huge golfer (though I do have a set of lefty clubs that I’ll take out once in a while), I’m told the golfing around here is fantastic. Though we ladies opted out of golfing for this trip, on past trips we’ve had the pleasure of golfing at Ford’s Colony Country Club, which is where the men golfed. The courses are gorgeous!
- Alewerks Brewing Company– I love tasting local brews when we travel to different places, so I was excited to see that beer tasting was on our itinerary. We tasted about 10 local beers. My personal favorites were the Coffee House Stout and the White Ale, both of which are seasonal. They offer brewery tours, outdoor seating, live music, a killer oversize Jenga set, snacks and various events. Definitely a fun place to spend an afternoon.
- The Peanut Shop– Located in the heart of Colonial Williamsburg, you can find Virginia peanuts with a variety of different seasonings and flavors along with a ton of food-oriented gifts. I was especially partial to the Savory Dill Pickle Peanuts and the Dark Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans. The staff was super friendly and there were samples available of almost every item.
- The Cheese Shop- Cheese and wine and charcuterie (oh my!). The Cheese Shop it literally foodie heaven. This family-owned establishment is right in Colonial Williamsburg Merchant’s Square and consists of the cheese shop (I’m told they make excellent sandwiches), the wine cellar and their restaurant the Fat Canary. Do not miss this, especially if you love food!
- Sal’s By Victor Italian Restaurant– This was by far my favorite meal on our trip. I tend to be a bit skeptical of Italian restaurants since I was raised with the most delicious of all the delicious Italian food in the land! I’m happy to report that my skepticism was unfounded; our meal was amazing! I would have photographed my rustic and oh-so-tasty Pappardelle al Ragu but I was too busy enjoying it. The atmosphere is very friendly and the owners are such warm and welcoming people.
- Paradise Ocean Club- This is located an hour away from Williamsburg in Hampton, VA (on the Chesapeake Bay). It is worth the drive for a private beach, music, food, drinks, a pool with a water slide. We were lucky enough to enjoy our own cabana and our server Gabby took the best care of us. It was such a perfect day and later on the boys and A joined us (our sweet gal was not a fan of the ocean, but we’re working on it).
Overall it was such great trip. This group of friends are such awesome people. While we are the first ones in the group to have a baby, they are all so loving and kind to A. It means the world to us that A gets to grow up around such great people!
How did you spend your holiday weekend?
Linked up at: