Remember a few weeks back when I showed you the photos from A’s 8 Month Photo Shoot? I actually made that sweet little DIY Alice and Wonderland Tutu for my sweet little Alice. It was actually super simple to make and looked adorable.
For this tutorial you will need one to two rolls of blue tulle (depending on the size of your baby or toddler), one roll of white tulle, blue stretchy baby headbands (for a larger child you’ll probably need a blue ribbon and end up tying it or sewing it together), a piece of cardboard (I cut up an old box we had laying around) and scissors.
- The first thing I did was take a piece of cardboard and cut it so that the with is wider than your tulle and the length is an inch longer than your desired length for the tutu. Take your tulle and wrap it around the length of your cardboard several times. The more you wrap it, the more strips of tulle you’ll have (bigger kid = more tulle).
- Once you’ve wrapped it as many times as desired, cut along the side you started wrapping on. This will leave you with the strips to make your tutu.
- Take your headband and go to the first hole on the edge. Pull your strip through forming a loop.
- Take the ends of the strip and pull them through the loop and pull to tighten.
- Repeat this all around the headband adding in the white tulle for the portion that represents the apron. I added a second row of strips as well to give it a more full skirt.
Overall it was a pretty simple project that I was able to do in front of the TV- it came together in less than an hour (and I went at a leisurely pace). I’m super happy with the results and A seemed to enjoy wearing it.For bigger kids, I would probably swap out the head band for a ribbon that I could tie or you could even sew an elastic band into. But we all know that I fail at sewing. As you can see, A was loving get tutu:
You can find an index of all my DIY projects here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest.
Linked up at:
Friday: Lovely Little Link Party, Weekend Re-Treat, Creativity Unleashed, Foodie Friday and Everything Else, No Rules Weekend Blog Party, Let’s Get Real Link Up, Frugal Friday, Home Matters Linky Party, Weekend Bloggy Reading, BFF Open House