This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
As you may have noticed in my post of A’s one year photos, we had a smash cake (which I actually made for her) with some super-cute flags on top. I made those flags myself and they couldn’t have been more simple and easy to make!
- The first thing you’ll needs is to gather some scissors, the Washi tape of your choice (I’m rather partial to this Glitter Sparkle Washi Tape!) and some Bamboo Skewers (I opted for longer ones because that’s what I had on hand and it allowed me to vary the heights of the flags).
- Next, I cut my skewers to varying sizes based on the size of my cake (which was quite small- the great thing about large skewers is that they can accommodate a full size cake beautifully!).
- From here, I took some pieces of Washi tape and wrapped them once around the skewer so that the skewer was in the middle of the tap and the sticky sides of the tape stuck together. This makes it look as though the soon-to-be flag is just glittery on both sides. Note: You’ll want to make it a little bit longer than you want your flag to be.
- Next you’ll use your scissors to cut the flag into a triangle. I started on the side near the skewer and worked my way out, this allowed me to choose the size of my flag. You could also cut them straight across for rectangular flags.
- Finally, place the skewers on the cake. Make sure you keep an eye on your little one (if it’s a smash cake or a cake that your little one will be handling!).
I still cannot get over how quick and easy this project was! It literally took no more than 10 minutes of my time and I got the exact effect that I was looking for! Give these a try 🙂
You can find a full index of my projects here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more DIY inspiration!