Garlic Green Beans are easy enough for weeknight dinner but special enough to serve for holiday dinners as well! This family favorite recipe will be your go-to vegetable side dish!
Nanou’s Sauteed Green Beans with Garlic
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
When you love food as much as I do, there is nothing better than marrying into a family full of excellent cooks. So I did just that! As I mentioned in this post and this post, J’s mom makes some pretty delicious food. This makes sense considering the fact that she learned from one of the best, J’s grandma, who we all affectionately call Nanou.
She also had some incredible recipes, which she was gracious enough to share with us. One such mainstay at our dinner table is her garlic green beans recipe. Blanched or steamed green beans that are then sautéed in mix of butter and olive oil. Minced garlic adds that rich, garlicky flavor without being overwhelming and fresh parsley adds the perfect amount of herbaceous freshness.
Tips for making garlic butter green beans:
- Use fresh green beans. Sure, canned or frozen can be slightly quicker, but the fresh ones have the very best texture.
- Blanching green beans is helpful in speeding up the saute process later in the recipe and helping get just the right texture, but make sure you run them under cold water immediately after (or plunge them into an ice bath) to stop the cooking process until they get into the saute pan.
- Give the garlic a couple minutes to saute in the butter and oil before adding the green beans. One of the first times I made this, I was rushing through it and didn’t let the garlic cook much. As you can imagine, we were all in for a rude awakening in that first bite! Still tasty, but letting it cooking a bit will develop that delicious garlic flavor without the edge.
- Don’t skip the parsley! Seriously, this makes the dish!
Garlic Green Beans are a family favorite side dish recipe. They're super easy to make with a few simple ingredients like fresh green beans, garlic, butter and fresh parsley and are pretty quick to! Easy enough for weeknight dinner but special enough to serve for holiday dinners as well!
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cleaned and trimmed
- 2-4 Tablespoons salted butter (you can halve it with olive oil if you want to make it a bit healthier)
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper. to taste
Blanch the green beans for around 7-8 minutes and drain well. Run under cold water to stop cooking.
In a saute pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
Add the garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently until fragrant.
Add the beans and the parsley and mix all together.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Please note- like all the best family recipes, there are no true amounts, it all goes by taste (and really, I always encourage you to taste your food as you go along!). That being said, the measurements given are based on how I make it when I cook it for my family. Feel free to adjust the amounts as per your preference.
This giveaway has ended. Congratulations to our winners Jeanne and Lola!
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions!
Looking for some other green beans recipes?
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!