Wanna know my favorite way to get kids to love broccoli? Cheese Sauce for Broccoli! It's creamy, delicious and so easy to make. Your family will be fighting for seconds!
Cheese Sauce for Broccoli
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Growing up, I had always heard that some people don't like broccoli. This was always baffling to me because I love broccoli and so do my kids! It makes an appearance at least once per week in our dinner rotation and was a main stay in my childhood as well. My favorite way to turn people into broccoli believers is broccoli with cheese.
This is actually my Grandma Eve's recipe. It's a pretty simple and quick recipe but it does require a little love. but trust me when I say, your efforts will be well rewarded!
Tips for how to make cheese sauce and broccoli
- In general, when you do anything involving milk on your stove top, you'll want to give it a good amount of attention, stirring constantly so as not to scald the milk. Also, make sure you don't cook it over anything higher than medium heat.
- To make the roux whisk melted butter and flour. Cook the flour mixture whisking often for a couple minutes to get rid of the floury flavor- this will thicken your cheese sauce. Once you add the milk, it will thicken into a béchamel sauce which is a creamy white sauce, which is the perfect sauce to add the cheese into.
- Turn off the heat before you whisk in the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Be sure to cut your broccoli florets to a similar size for evenly cooked steamed broccoli.
- A good way to tell that the milk has thickened enough to add the cheese is by sticking a spoon into it. Once it coats the back of a spoon you're ready for cheese.
- If you find that its too liquidy, you can make a little more roux (flour and butter mixture) and add it to the sauce over medium low heat until it thickens a bit more.
Can you substitute cheese?
Sure- feel free to change up the cheese. I wrote this out as a cheddar cheese sauce recipe (sharp cheddar cheese is my fav!) but it would taste fantastic with a different cheese subbed in.
How do I make sure my cheese sauce is smooth?
If you can shred cheese yourself, that always melts better but if not, the pre-shredded stuff will also work. And also, full-fat cheeses melt easier than low fat (so indulge a little!).
How do you store cheese sauce?
I've found that this is best served right away, as the cheese sauce coagulates in the refrigerator. That said, it can be stored for up to 3 days covered in your refrigerator and can be heated in the microwave (give it a stir half way through). If it feels too thick, whisk in a little milk.
Can you freeze cheese sauce?
I would probably avoid freezing it.
What to serve with cheese sauce?
This is an excellent side dish for many different meals and a great way to get kids interested in the vegetable you serve it with! I can remember many delicious dinners where this cheese sauce was served over cauliflower. I'd imagine it would be a great with any other steamed veggies as well as a quick option for the sauce part of mac and cheese as well. Add some jalapeños or Rotel for a tasty queso or drizzle over baked potatoes. This is always great for dipping soft pretzels!
Ingredients for cheese sauce
- Salted butter
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Steamed broccoli
Ingredients to prep ahead:
- Shred cheese
- Cut broccoli
CHEESE SAUCE FOR BROCCOLI
- 2 Tablespoon salted butter you can use unsalted, but you may want to add a little salt if you do
- 2 Tablespoon of flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder optional
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or any other shredded cheese that you like
- Steamed broccoli florets
- Melt butter in a medium size pan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle in the flour and whisk until combined.
- Let it cook for a minute or two.
- Add milk, garlic powder and pepper.
- Cook until thickened stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in your cheese until well combined and serve immediately over the broccoli or the vegetable of your choice.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions!
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!