Wanna know my favorite way to get kids to love broccoli? Cheese Sauce for Broccoli! It’s creamy, delicious and so easy to make. Your family will be fighting for seconds!
Cheese Sauce for Broccoli
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Growing up, I had always heard that some people don’t like broccoli. This was always baffling to me because I love broccoli and so do my kids! It makes an appearance at least once per week in our dinner rotation and was a main stay in my childhood as well. My favorite way to turn people into Broccoli Believers is to serve it with my Grandma Eve’s Homemade Cheese Sauce.
Now don’t be mistaken; just because I’m listing broccoli as the primary vessel for this cheese sauce doesn’t mean that’s your only option. I can remember many delicious dinners where this cheese sauce was served over cauliflower. I’d imagine it would be a great, quick option for the sauce part of mac and cheese as well.
This is a pretty simple and quick recipe but it does require a little love.
Tips for making broccoli with cheese sauce
- In general, when you do anything involving milk on your stove top, you’ll want to give it a good amount of attention, stirring often so as not to scald the milk. Also, make sure you don’t cook it over a high heat.
- Feel free to change up the cheese. While I wrote this out as a cheddar cheese sauce recipe, it would taste fantastic with a different cheese subbed in.
- I’ve found that this is best served right away, as the cheese sauce coagulates in the refrigerator and the leftovers aren’t nearly as delicious as when it’s served right away.
- A good way to tell that the milk has thickened enough to add the cheese is by sticking a spoon into it. Once it coats the back of a spoon you’re ready for cheese.
- If you find that its too liquidy, you can make a little more roux (flour and butter mixture) and add it to the sauce over medium low heat until it thickens a bit more.
This is an excellent side dish for many meals and a great way to get kids interested in the vegetable you serve it with!
Helpful tools for making this cheese sauce recipe:
- 2 Tablespoon salted butter you can use unsalted, but you may want to add a little salt if you do
- 2 Tablespoon of flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or any other shredded cheese that you like
- Steamed broccoli florets
Melt butter in a medium size pan over medium heat.
Sprinkle in the flour and whisk until combined.
Let it cook for a minute or two.
Add milk, garlic powder and pepper.
Cook until thickened stirring often, about 10 minutes.
Whisk in your cheese until well combined and serve immediately over the broccoli or the vegetable of your choice.
Some of my other favorite sauce recipes are:
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!