This Crunchy Red Cabbage Salad is downright addictive and so easy to make, it’ll become your go-to summer salad for sure!
Crunchy Red Cabbage Salad
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Gah, this red cabbage salad. I’m so excited to share this with you because it is the single most down-right addictive salad you’ll taste this summer. I’m not even exaggerating. It’s is so delicious and so perfectly crunchy that it disappears almost instantly at every party it’s brought to (and that’s a lot in our family!). When my aunt would make it for my late uncle, he would gobble it up super quickly! And this is a man who loved all the best foods in life, so if he loved it, you know it was good!
They great thing is it is beyond easy to make. So easy, in fact, that I feel kind of silly even typing out a recipe card for this. It’s one of those beautiful recipes that one really doesn’t even have to measure, you just keep adding the ingredients and seasonings and tasting it as you go until you can’t stop eating it!
The other awesome thing about this red cabbage salad (or purple cabbage salad if you prefer to call it that) is that it really holds it’s crunch, even after a couple days in the fridge- if it even lasts that long. So you could easily make it ahead and pull it out for the fridge just before serving. It’s also super budget-friendly if that’s a concern for you.
Tips for making Crunchy Red Cabbage Salad
- Use an actual head of purple cabbage, not the prepackage , already cut cabbage bags that they sell- This is not a red cabbage slaw. while you’ll be slicing the cabbage thin, it won’t se so thin that it’s shredded. Which brings me to my next tip…
- Slice it thin, but not too thin- The idea is that you want to slice it just thin enough that it holds up and maintains it’s crunch long after you dress it.
- Go thin with the onions- One thing you may or may not know about me: although I enjoy the flavor that onions impart onto food, I tend to avoid raw onions in many cases because they can be a bit overpowering for me and the texture isn’t my favorite. But with this salad, I love them because they are meant to be sliced so paper thin that they give a light and delicious flavor without taking over the dish.
- Plan on making a big salad- This recipe makes a lot and is perfect for feeding a crowd. Feel free to halve it if you don’t want such a large amount!
- Taste it as you go- When it comes time to dress this cabbage salad, think of the amounts that I listed as a bench mark. As with pretty much everything you cook, taste it for flavor and add more of whatever you think it needs.
This Crunchy Red Cabbage Salad is downright addictive and so easy to make, it'll become your go-to summer salad for sure!
- 1 head red cabbage, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2-3 teaspoons Italian seasoning start with less and taste it as you go
- 1-2 Tablespoons kosher salt, start with less and taste it as you go
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil start with less and taste it as you go
- 1/4 cup red or white wine vinegar start with less and taste it as you go
- Black pepper, to taste
Cut the head of red cabbage in half and remove the core.
Cut each half in half again to make quarters.
Thinly slice each quarter width-wise (they should be around 1/4 inch thick at most).
Slice the red onions as thin as possible (almost "shave" it with your knife).
Place the sliced cabbage and onions into a large bowl.
Sprinkle on Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil and vinegar.
Toss well until well combine and taste it. Add additional dressing or seasonings if needed until it tastes fantastic. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This lasts for up to a week in the refrigerator.
All of the amounts of the ingredients are benchmarks. I encourage you to dress this salad "freehand" and keep tasting it until it tastes great.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions!
Looking for some other easy summer salad recipes?
- Tuna Macaroni Salad
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Very Best Shrimp Macaroni Salad
- Shrimp and Peas Salad
- 7 Layer Taco Salad
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!