Do you want to be the most popular person at the picnic? Then make my Grandma’s Very Best Shrimp Macaroni Salad! Meaty chunks of shrimp, crispy celery and onions and tender pasta covered in a creamy and super flavorful dressing. Everyone will be back for seconds!
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Macaroni salad is the quintessential summer side dish. It’s one of those things I will make and then go back to all day, every day to nibble on. I don’t know what it is, but it just keeps calling me back to the fridge for one more bite!
And this macaroni salad recipe is a sure winner! It’s my Grandma Eve’s recipe, so you know it’s going to be awesome (aren’t Grandma recipes always awesome?). I can remember so many meals that include this shrimp pasta salad and everyone raving over it.
Up until now I’m sad to say I had never made it. So when I finally got the recipe, I was a bit surprised by some of the ingredients. They just weren’t what I expected to see in a macaroni salad recipe, at least not this one. But they actually add some really awesome levels to the overall flavor and are probably what gives this salad it’s addictive quality.
Tips for making the best macaroni salad:
- If you can, buy shrimp that’s already cooked, it’s one less step for you.
- Make it ahead. Letting it sit in the dressing a little bit helps it all meld together and deepens the flavor.
- Taste the dressing as you go. This is pretty much the case for any cooking recipe (not so much baking) but take the measurements as a starting point and make this to your taste.
- This recipe makes a pretty large amount. If you’re not serving a crowd, or you don’t want as many left overs, half it.
Do you want to be the most popular person at the picnic? Then make my Grandma's Very Best Shrimp Macaroni Salad! Meaty chunks of shrimp, crispy celery and onions and tender pasta covered in a creamy and super flavorful dressing. Everyone will be back for seconds!
- 1 pound medium shell pasta, cooked as per package directions to al dente
- 2/3 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 1/4 cups celery, finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, cooked and roughly chopped into large chunks
- 1 cup mayonnaise,
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1-2 generous pinch sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Add dressing and mix well to combine.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until you're ready to serve.
Whisk all ingredients until well combined.
Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste.
Pour over the salad.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions!
Looking for some other easy side dish recipes?
Other favorite summer salads include:
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!