This quick and easy Chocolate Pudding Cake recipe is a delicious cake mix hack! There are only five simple ingredients and the result is the most perfectly moist cake you’ll ever taste.
Chocolate Pudding Cake
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Remember this insanely delicious Poppy Seed Cake that is crazy easy to make and the most moist cake you’ve ever tasted (if the answer is no, I encourage you to get into the kitchen and make it, stat!)? Like all great things in life, I couldn’t leave well enough alone and had to make a variation.
I think it’s super important to have a great, easy, last minute dessert recipe up your sleeve. I mean all desserts are beautiful. We know this. But not everyone has the time to put a ton of work into a fancy, scratch made dessert.
And you guys, everyone loves chocolate cake. Especially when it’s the freakin’ best chocolate cake recipe. There. I said it. And I stand by that comment. And yes, I recognize that this isn’t technically a homemade chocolate cake.
It’s nice to have an in between option that takes mere minutes of your time to throw together (the rest is baking time), minimal ingredients and is virtually foolproof. And of course the big game changer is that the variation of ingredients or the “hack” results in a pudding cake that is moist, addictive and that blows your normal boxed cake mix right out of the water!
Tips for how to make this moist chocolate cake recipe
- Don’t feel like you need to warm your water for this on the stove or in the microwave. I just run my tap water until it is warm and then fill my measuring cup.
- Be sure to grease your pan with cooking spray so the cake pops out easily without sticking.
- The mini chocolate chips are totally optional but I personally love the texture they add.
- Every oven is different, so check the cake at 50 minutes and if the tester comes out clean, pull it then.
- I let it cool quite a bit before inverting. When the time comes, I run a butter knife around the outside of the cake between the cake and the pan and I place my perving plate on top of the pan and then turn it all over. The cake slides right out.
Frequently asked questions about making this chocolate bundt cake
- Can I make this the day before? Definitely! I do it this way most of the time.
- Can I do this as a layer cake and frost it? Yes! I have directions for cooking this same cake mix hack (different flavor) but as a layer cake and you can find that here.
- Can you freeze this? Yes, just wrap it really well.
- Do I really have to use that many eggs? Yes. They make it super moist and delicious. That said, you do not need to use extra large eggs. They’re ideal, but I’ve made this several times with large eggs and it’s come out perfect every single time.
- Can I top this cake? Yes- my favorite is making chocolate ganache and pouring it over the top- heat heavy cream to almost simmering (it’ll be steaming). Pour it over chocolate chips and let it sit for a few minutes and then keep whisking until it turns into ganache. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes and pour over the top.
This quick and easy Chocolate Pudding Cake recipe is a delicious cake mix hack! There are only five simple ingredients and the result is the most perfectly moist cake you'll ever taste.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 2 small boxes instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup oil
- 5 extra-large eggs (large is also fine)
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Confectioner's sugar (for dusting)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease a bundt pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
Mix the first 5 ingredients until just combined.
Stir in the mini chocolate chips if you're using them and put batter into the bundt pan.
Bake for around 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean. Check it at 50 minutes, because it can go a little faster depending on your oven.
Cool and serve with a dusting of confectioner's sugar.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make it please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
Looking for some other great cake mix hack recipes?
- Poppy Seed Cake
- Lemon Pistachio Cake
- Orange Cake with Chocolate Ganache Glaze
- Pumpkin Spiced Latte Cake
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!