I’m not exaggerating when I say this is the absolute BEST Chocolate Cake recipe you will ever taste. Perfectly rich and completely moist- your friends and family will beg you for the recipe and they'll never know that it’s actually an easy cake mix hack!
Killer Chocolate Cake
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Remember this insanely delicious Poppy Seed Cake that is crazy easy to make and the most moist cake you've ever tasted (if the answer is no, I encourage you to get into the kitchen and make it, stat)? Like all great things in life, I couldn't leave well enough alone and had to make a variation but in the form of a chocolate pudding cake.
I think it's super important to have a great, easy, last minute dessert recipe up your sleeve. But not everyone has the time to put a ton of work into a fancy, scratch made dessert. And you guys, everyone loves a chocolate bundt chocolate cake.
Especially when it’s the freakin’ best chocolate cake. Which this is. And I’m not exaggerating when I say that.
While this isn’t a “scratch” cake, I think it's nice to have an in-between option that takes mere minutes of your time to throw together (the rest is baking time), minimal ingredients and is virtually foolproof. And of course the big game changer is that the variation of ingredients or the "hack" that results in a chocolate pudding cake recipe that is moist, addictive and that blows your normal boxed cake mix right out of the water!
Tips for making this chocolate cake recipe
- Don’t feel like you need to have water that’s so hot it’s boiling water. I just run my tap water until it is warm and then fill my measuring cup for this cake recipe.
- Be sure to grease your cake pan with cooking spray so the cake pops out easily without sticking.
- The chocolate chips are totally optional but I personally love the texture they add.
- Be sure to scrape all the batter out of the large bowl with a spatula when you pour batter into the bundt pan.
- Every oven is different, so check the cake at 40 minutes and if the tester comes out clean, pull it then.
- I let it cool quite a bit before inverting. Often, I’ll let it cool completely in the pan. It’s fine either way.
- For the cake mix, I prefer dark chocolate, but devil’s food cake works great too.
How to make ahead and store the cake?
Absolutely! I’d bake it off and leave it in the bundt pan overnight. When it’s time to remove the cake from the pan, run a butter knife around the outside of the cake between the cake and the pan and place the serving plate on top of the pan and then turn it all over. The cake slides right out onto the serving plate.
Can I do this as a layer cake and frost it?
Yes! Spray two 9 inch round cake pans with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes (begin checking it around 25 minutes just to be safe).
Can I make this recipe in a 9” x 13” pan?
Yes! It’ll take about an hour to bake at 325 degrees (give or take some time depending on your oven- check it at 45 minutes and remove when a toothpick comes out clean.
Can I make this cake as cupcakes?
Yup- line a standard size muffin pan with cupcake liners and fill them ¾ of the way (an ice cream scoop works well for this!). Bake for 15-20 minutes at 325 degrees until your cake tester comes out clean.
Can you freeze this cake?
Yes, just freeze before frosting and wrap it really well.
What makes chocolate cake moist?
In this particular recipe, the eggs are what makes it super moist and delicious. Do not cut down the amount of eggs (it may seem excessive, but if you’re going to eat a cake, go big and eat a cake!). That said, you do not need to use extra large eggs. They’re ideal, but I’ve made this several times with large eggs and it’s come out perfect every single time.
What is the best topping for this cake?
My favorite is making chocolate ganache and pouring it over the top- heat ½ cup heavy cream to almost simmering (it’ll be steaming). Pour it over 1 cup chocolate chips and let it sit for a few minutes and then keep whisking until it turns into ganache. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes and pour over the top. You can also frost it with chocolate butter cream, fresh whipped cream, or a dusting of powdered sugar is great in a pinch. But I think chocolate ganache ups to wow-factor!
Ingredients for Triple Chocolate Cake
- Dark chocolate cake mix
- Instant chocolate pudding mixes
- 5 eggs (yes, 5!)
- Vegetable oil
- Water (or coffee or Kahlua- do you!)
The BEST Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 2 small boxes instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup warm water
- ¾ cup oil
- 5 extra-large eggs (large is also fine)
- ¾ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease a bundt pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix the first 5 ingredients until just combined.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips if you're using them and put batter into the bundt pan.
- Bake for around 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean. Check it at 50 minutes, because it can go a little faster depending on your oven.
- Cool and serve with chocolate ganache or a dusting of confectioner's sugar.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make it please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!