Grandma’s Shrimp Dip is a huge family favorite passed down through the generations- it’s quick and easy to throw together and everyone always begs for the recipe!
Grandma’s Shrimp Dip
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
One area that my family is very serious about is Grandma Eve’s Shrimp Dip. We take no prisoners when it comes to this. It would always make an appearance at our Christmas Eve celebration, and every single one of us would happily dive in. If you were late? Too bad. This shrimp dip is so good that it was every man for himself, no apologies, no regrets.
This will be our first Christmas without Grandma. While the things I’ll miss most of all are her gorgeous smile, the pure joy she exuded when watching her grandkids play and her affinity for all that fantastic holiday eating, I’ll also miss her iconic shrimp dip. While it’s seriously easy to make, no one makes it quite like Grandma did!
That being said I hope you’ll make this and feel the love the Eva always put into it. It comes together super quickly and easily and is always a major hit at any occasion, regardless of the season!
Tips for making Grandma’s Shrimp Dip Recipe
- Make your life easier and buy your shrimp precooked. That way you won’t have the hassle of having to cook and chill the shrimp, you can just chop them up and throw this dip together in record time!
- Grandma often left a few pieces of shrimp whole to garnish the top of the dip and once in a while she would hide a couple pieces of whole shrimp inside the dips as well, which was always a sweet jackpot moment for whoever happened to scoop that up!
- The key to getting the perfect dip is to taste it and adjust the seasonings to your taste. This is important with any savory recipe but especially this one.
Frequently asked questions about making shrimp dip with cream cheese
- Is shrimp dip gluten free? It sure is!
- Can you make shrimp dip ahead? Yes, it needs to be refrigerated prior to serving and can absolutely be made the night before serving.
- How long does shrimp dip last? This will last a couple days covered in your refrigerator.
- What goes with shrimp dip? I like to serve this with potato chips, but it also goes well with tortilla chips or even sliced baguette.
- Can shrimp dip be frozen? I wouldn’t recommend freezing it.
- Could I substitute crab for shrimp? Yes! This would make an awesome crab dip recipe as well!
- Mixing bowl
- Stand mixer or Hand mixer
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
Grandma's Shrimp Dip is a huge family favorite passed down through the generations- it's quick and easy to throw together and everyone always begs for the recipe!
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounce container sour cream
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 4 drops tabasco sauce or the hot sauce of your choice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 pound deveined frozen shrimp, thawed and chopped (or more if you want)
In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, sour cream, onion, celery salt, tabasco sauce, garlic powder and mayonnaise until well combined.
Taste the mixture and adjust seasonings to taste.
Stir in shrimp.
Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Serve with chips.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
Other great dip recipes are:
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!