This French Carrot Salad is a light and simple salad! It's so quick and easy to whip up and is sure to become your go-to salad for a busy weeknight!
Try some other tasty salads like a Cucumber Tomato Salad, Peas Salad with Shrimp, and 7 Layer Taco Salad.
French Carrot Salad
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
When my girls were babies, I got really into feeding little ones. I pureed every imaginable vegetable and had such a blast teaching them about all the different flavors. For me it was all about taste training. I read a book about feeding children in France, that was super interesting and it really resonated with me. One of the dishes that kept coming up was a super simple salad of shredded carrots. Typically they'd mix up a quick vinaigrette to dress it, and give it to kids to enjoy while preparing the rest of the meal.
And while they're still pretty good eaters, the inevitable happened: they got a little picky. And while compared to many kids, they're not too bad, they're still kids and they love to assert their independence, especially at the table.
I'm kind of in love with this idea, although sadly, my kids aren't huge fans of raw carrots (and you can bet I will continue to try getting them into carrots!). Although they're still pretty good eaters, the inevitable happened: they got a little picky. And while compared to many kids, they're not too bad, they're still kids and they love to assert their independence, especially at the table.
But either way I'm glad I made this carrot salad recipe, because it's so darn delicious! The great thing is, you can throw it together and serve it to the whole family. It's simple enough that (most) kids will love it, especially since the carrots are shredded. But it's also sophisticated enough that you can serve it as a delightful starter or side dish for adults.
Tips for making this Carrot Salad Recipe
- Make life quicker and easier by purchasing pre-shredded carrots!
- Chops your green onions nice and small.
- I always start by tossing the salad in half the vinaigrette and tasting it. Then I add more as needed to my taste.
- Any leftover vinaigrette can be saved and added later or used for other salads.
Can I shred my own carrots?
Sure! It takes a little longer, but you can totally do it! You can use your shredding attachment for your food processor or even a box grater.
Can carrot salad be made ahead?
Definitely. I'd encourage you to save half the dressing and add more before serving. This give the flavors time to get to know each other.
How long does carrot salad last?
It's best when consumed up to three days after making. Keep it covered in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze carrot salad?
I wouldn't recommend freezing.
Shredded Carrots Salad Ingredients:
- Shredded carrots
- Green onions
- Olive oil
- White wine vinegar
- Maple syrup
- Dijon mustard
- Kosher Salt
- Ground black pepper
- Herbes de Provence
French Carrot Salad
- 5 cups shredded carrots a little less than 2 pounds, depending on thickness
- 1 bunch green onions sliced (around ¾ cup)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar you can also use red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon prepared Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- Place shredded carrots and sliced green onions into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, salt, pepper and Herbes de Provence until well combined.
- Toss salad in half the dressing. If making in advance cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, toss with remaining dressing.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
Leave a Reply