Hot Dogs and Fried Potatoes
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
I don't know about you, but when I was a kid, I was alllllll about those easy, throw-together dishes everyone's mom would make. But the best one, by far was hot dogs and potatoes! Most kids love a good hot dog. And mixing them with crispy fried potatoes felt like french fries you could eat with a fork. Dip it in some ketchup and you've got yourself a winner!
So I knew I had to bring this back to the blog one day, and here we are. This is so quick and easy to throw together and a great way to use leftovers as well. This is a family dinner that weeknight wins are made of!
Tips for how to make hot dogs and potatoes
- I like to use a combination of oil and butter to keep the butter from burning.
- Be sure to cut the potatoes into a uniform size for even cooking.
- Be sure to turn the potatoes often so they don't burn.
- I think a big key to this is to get the potatoes nice and crispy before you add the hot dogs. Hot dogs cook faster than potatoes, so you'll want to wait until closer to the end to add them.
Do I need to pre-cook my hot dogs?
No- the hot dogs come already cooked, so you're really just heating and adding a bit of char.
Can I make this ahead?
Sure, just under cook it slightly and add it back into a greased pan to heat and crispy the items when you're ready to eat.
How long does this last?
Hot dogs and potatoes last for 3-4 days covered in the refrigerator.
Do I have to peel the potatoes? No- this would well with unpeeled potatoes. I prefer to peel them because my kids are more likely to eat them that way.
Can I use leftover hot dogs?
Totally! Just add them at the very end to you don't overcook and burn them.
Are there any other add-ins that would be delicious?
I think chopped bell peppers and onions would be a tasty addition! And I always serve this with ketchup. I think the big thing to remember is to watch it and manage your heat so you don't burn anything.
Ingredients for making Potatoes and Hot Dogs
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Hot dogs
Ingredients to prep ahead:
- Slice hot dogs
- Wash potatoes
How to make hotdogs and potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 4 cups peeled and cut potatoes, cut them to 1 inch chunks
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups sliced hot dog
- Melt oil and butter together in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add potatoes to the skillet and spread them into a single layer.
- Season with onion powder, garlic powder and paprika.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring and turning often. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add hot dogs to the pan and continue cooking another 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are golden brown and hot dogs are browned.
- Serve immediately.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions!
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!