Is it even a holiday dinner without mashed potatoes?! I say, ditch the hassle and make these easy Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes, they're creamy, flavorful and totally delicious!
Try some other great potato recipes like Skillet Fried Potatoes, Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, and Ranch Roasted Potato Wedges.
Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
In our family, it's not a holiday without homemade mashed potatoes. I can remember exactly one Thanksgiving without them and let me tell you, my husband never let any of us hear the end of it! At this point it's something of an inside joke but the message is the same: make sure there are mashed potatoes!
Growing up, my Grandma Eve always made the best mashed potatoes. Deliciously creamy and full of flavor, without a lump in sight. While none of us have ever been able to replicate hers, these make ahead mashed potatoes are super tasty and I would like to think that if she were here today she'd be pretty proud of my efforts!
Tips for how to make mashed potatoes
- Before boiling, I try to cut the potatoes into uniform size chunks for even cooking.
- Start with the cream cheese and sour cream at room temperature. If you're planning on serving these right away instead of making them ahead, it won't cool the hot potatoes down as much as cold ingredients would, but more importantly, this will help to mix everything together more evenly.
- You'll notice I use melted butter in this recipe when mixing up the mashed potatoes. This is for the same reason above.
- If making ahead, cool the potatoes down a bit before chilling.
- Taste them as you're mixing and adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Use a stand mixer to mash- work smarter, not harder.
- If making ahead- let it come to room temperature before heating.
Can make ahead mashed potatoes be made the day before?
Yes, up to 24 hours in advance.
What is the best way to reheat mashed potatoes?
I prefer by baking in the oven.
Do mashed potatoes freeze well?
While most potatoes don't, these tend to freeze better due to the high fat content.
What are the best potatoes for mashed potatoes?
I prefer to use Butter Potatoes. If those are not available, Yukon Gold are my next favorite option.
How can you keep make ahead mashed potatoes warm?
If you're not serving them right away after reheating, rub your slow cooker with a little butter and set it to warm. This will keep them warm for a few hours. And give them a stir once in a while.
Can you lighten up mashed potatoes?
Sure- the best way to lighten these up is by using low fat cream cheese and light sour cream.
Ingredients for making Mashed Potatoes
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Dutch oven
- Wooden spoon
- 9 x 13 pan
- Stand mixer or Hand mixer
Discover the secret to hosting Thanksgiving without all the stress! Prepsgiving is your FREE guide to making a delicious Thanksgiving feast the easy way.
Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds butter potatoes (or yukon gold), peeled and cut into uniform 1 inch chunks
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces sour cream room temperature
- 6 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Boil potatoes until fork tender, around 10-15 minutes. Drain well. While potatoes drain melt 3 tablespoons butter.
- Place potatoes into large bowl with cream cheese, sour cream, melted butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Mix until well combined and no lumps remain (I use a stand mixer, but you can also use a hand masher). Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste. If serving right away, enjoy.
- If making ahead, place potatoes into a greased 9" x 13" baking pan and cool. Then cover and refrigerate.
- When you're ready to bake, bring potatoes to room temperature.
- Take remaining 3 Tablespoons butter and cut into small chunks. Scatter chunks over the top of the potatoes.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until warmed through. Serve immediately.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
Leave a Reply