If the perfect potato is crispy on the outside and light and fluffy then these Fried Potatoes definitely deliver. They're quick and easy with seriously delicious flavor!
Try some other great potato recipes like Easy Scalloped Potatoes, Cheesy Ranch Potatoes, and Parmesan Garlic Oven Roasted Potatoes.
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
My kids are weird about potatoes. I'm not sure who they got this trait from because their father and I agree that potatoes are delicious, but the battle rages on. Outside of French fries, getting them to eat a potato is hit-or-miss at best.
But when I was a kid, potatoes of all sorts were totally my jam! I especially loved when my mom would make pan fried potatoes. They always seemed to come out perfectly cooked and seasoned and everyone fought for seconds.
So I decided to throw together my own version. In the past, I've had a spotty history frying potatoes. But I had to give it as shot. I kept the seasonings simple and cooked it over moderate heat so that the potatoes could slowly crisp up without burning. The results were so delicious, even my little ones enjoyed them!
Tips for making Skillet Potatoes
- Try to cut the potatoes around the same size so that they cook evenly. I prefer 1 inch chunks.
- I use a mix of butter and oil because the oil helps prevent the butter from burning.
- Be sure to stir and turn the potatoes often to prevent burning.
- These are best served right away for optimal crispiness.
What variety of potatoes is best for this fried potatoes recipe?
Any variety will work, but I used red potatoes.
Do you have to peel the potatoes?
You don't have to but I do (more so my kids will eat them).
Do you have to boil potatoes before frying them?
Some people prefer to but I don't think it's necessary for this recipe.
How do you tell if potatoes are done frying?
They'll be golden brown and perfectly crispy.
How long do fried potatoes last?
although these are best served right away, they will last for up to 3 days covered in the refrigerator.
Ingredients for crispy potatoes:
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Fresh parsley
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Stand mixer or Hand mixer
- Large saute pan
- Wooden spoon
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 4 cups potatoes peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley chopped (optional garnish)
- Melt oil and butter together in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add potatoes to the skillet and spread them into a single layer.
- Season with onion powder, garlic powder and paprika.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring and turning often.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook another 10 minutes, stirring and turning often or until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
Leave a Reply