Need a really quick and comforting dinner to feed the whole family? Make this Pasta with Peas, it's seriously easy and totally satisfying!
Pasta with Peas
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
This recipe was given to me by my mother. It's her variation of a pasta and peas recipe that her friend from Italy gave her. Now she's made some changes to make it more to her taste. And it's my understanding that many people have their own variations of this recipe. But it's so easy that you could totally adapt this to your own unique tastes.
This Pasta with Peas recipe is the perfect throw-together meal on those nights that you just can't be bothered to make a big production of cooking. I have those nights way to often! Thank goodness for simple weeknight dinners!
Most people typically have all these ingredients in their kitchen already (except for the Pancetta which can easily be subbed out for bacon or omitted completely). This is ready in under 30 minutes and uses a whopping two pans. It's great on it's own and also delicious with a salad.
Frequently asked questions about Pasta and Peas
- What kind of pasta is best in this? You can use any small pasta, but I've always had this with Ditalini.
- Can you make this vegetarian? Yes, simply omit the pancetta and substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth. You could even make it vegan by using a vegan pasta and using nutritional yest in place of the cheese option.
- What if I don't have broth? No problem, add more of the pasta water. The flavor will be a little different but should still be tasty because you've salted the water (you better be salting your pasta water!!). This is actually how the original recipe was prepared when my mom enjoyed it in Italy. She also didn't use pancetta. But I like the extra flavor it adds.
- Does this make good leftovers? Yes! It lasts 4-5 days in the refrigerator and it still pretty tasty. You might consider adding a little more broth or waters as the pasta tends to suck up the remaining broth.
- Saute pan or Le Creuset braiser
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
Pasta with Peas
- 1 pound Ditalini pasta (or the small pasta of your choice)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely diced (1 medium onion)
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 12 ounce bag frozen peas
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1-2 ladles pasta water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Romano or Parmesan cheese to taste
- Boil water in medium pot over high heat and salt the water well. Cook pasta as per package direction to al dente.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
- Add pancetta and saute for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add onions and saute for 5-10 more minutes stirring often (pancetta should just be starting to brown and the onions should soften). Reduce heat if needed.
- Add a bag of frozen peas and saute for another 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add 1 cup chicken broth and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Add pasta and ladle in 1-2 ladles of pasta water depending on how much liquid you prefer. This will also thicken the mixture slightly.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed (go easy on the salt until after you add the cheese).
- Sprinkle with Romano or Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions!
Looking for some other easy pasta recipes?
- One Pot Philly Steak Pasta
- Creamy Chicken Fajita Pasta
- 20 Minute Taco Pasta
- Bangin' Sausage and Peppers Pasta
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
Leave a Reply