These Margarita Chicken Skewers are a serious game changer! With a deliciously fresh citrus flavor, these are perfect to grill on a hot summer night!
Margarita Chicken Skewers
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
This idea has been kicking around in my brain for way too long. I intended to develop this last summer, but life got crazy and all of the sudden it was the holidays! But here we are, and I cannot wait to share this with you guys!
First of all, who loves a good margarita? **waves both hands enthusiastically in the air** I don't even drink much anymore, but when it comes to liquor, tequila is my booze of choice. I know this isn't the case for a lot of people, but I think we can all agree that the tart and sweet flavors with that little bit of saltiness that margaritas bring to the table is a winning flavor combo. And even more so when you combine it with grilled chicken skewers (or really any chicken in general) as I found out!
This recipe has summer written allllllll over it! It's so bright and citrusy, it makes me happy, just thinking about it! Obviously, I used lime juice. And tequila (don't worry, the booze cooks off and it doesn't have a strong tequila flavor at all, promise!).
I didn't want it to be too boozy, so I omitted the triple sec. I replaced it with some orange juice, so you still get a bit of the orange flavor that triple sec usually adds and also a tiny bit of sweetness that's normally there with simple syrup. And of course salt and pepper to balance things out.
Initially, I was a little nervous that it would be too citrusy, but these concerns melted away the minute I taste it. This turned out to be the ultimate chicken kabob recipe! And it made the most juicy and tender chicken breast pieces as well! They'd be amazing over a salad, but I loved them on their own!
How to make Margarita Chicken:
- If you're using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least an hour.
- Whisk together lime juice, tequila, orange juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Or you can be super lazy and throw it all in a plastic zipper bag (gallon size!) and shake it like a polaroid picture. It's up to you.
- You can also marinate these in a bowl, but go with a non-reactive material (plastic, silicone, or glass- definitely NOT aluminum!)
- Cut your chicken breast into 1 ½ - 2 inch chunks. The key is to have them all be the same size for even cooking. Toss those puppies into your bag of boozy goodness.
- Let the chicken marinate for a couple hours. You can go longer, but try not to go over 12 hours (I prefer only a couple hours, though).
- Skewer the chicken, spray the grill with cooking spray and preheat it.
- Grill the chicken skewers and let them rest for 5-10 minutes before digging in!
Helpful tools for making Margarita Chicken Shish Kabobs:
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Mixing bowl
- Lemon reamer
- Wooden skewers
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
Margarita Chicken Skewers
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup good tequila
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1 ½ - 2 inch chunks. Try to make them all the same size. Place into a gallon size plastic zipper bag.
- Whisk together lime juice, tequila, orange juice, olive oil, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Pour into the bag with the chicken, seal the bag and shake it to make sure all the chicken is covered in the marinade.
- Let it marinate for 2-12 hours.
- Place the chicken on the skewers and discard the leftover marinade.
- Spray the grill with cooking spray and preheat it to medium high.
- Place the chicken on the hot grill and cook uncovered for 4-5 minutes.
- Turn the chicken skewers and cook uncovered for 4-5 minutes or until done. This could vary depending on the size of your chicken pieces.
- Remove the chicken skewers to a clean plate and tent them with foil. Rest them for 5-10 minutes. Serve immediately.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions!
Looking for some other great grilling recipes?
- Grilled Hawaiian Pork Chops
- Brown Sugar Bourbon Pork Chops Recipe
- Balsamic Grilled Asparagus
- Grilled Peaches and Burrata Salad
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!