My kids do not stop requesting this Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Recipe; it’s simple comfort food at it’s finest and perfect for busy weeknights!
Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Sometimes you just need a good casserole. Or in this case, a good tater tot casserole. I don’t care how refined you are, it’s impossible not to love tots. And on a busy weeknight, especially in chilly winter weather, there is nothing like a stick-to-your-bones casserole to warm you up!
This recipe for tater tot casserole was inspired by another time-honored American tradition; a classic cheeseburger and fries. But made that much more comforting by putting it in casserole form. What’s not to like?
I think in the midwest this is called a Hot Plate. Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. I am a born-and-bred Western, NY gal after all.
How to make Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole:
- First things first, you’re going to pull out your saute pan and fry up some bacon. Because every great recipe begins with bacon.
- After that you’ll mix ground beef with a few other goodies and make your casserole base.
- Now you can totally leave it in the saute pan if it’s oven-safe (although, you’ll likely see some variance on the amount of tots that you need to cover the top) but if you need to transport the casserole or you just want it to look pretty, you’ll transfer it to a 9″ x 9″ baking pan– you can also use an 8″ x 8″ baking pan jut know that there will be a bit of variance with the tater tots.
- Then you’ll top it with cheese, crumble on some of that bacon you fried up at the beginning and line your tater tots all along the top of the casserole.
- Pop that puppy into the oven and and bake it for a bit and then dig in and fight your family for seconds (I mean, don’t actually fight them, casseroles are about love and warmth. But make sure you lay claim on that next helping!).
Helpful tools for making this Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole:
My kids do not stop requesting this Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Recipe; it's simple comfort food at it's finest and perfect for busy weeknights!
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 pund ground beef, 80/20
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 14.5 ounce can beef broth
- 1 10.75 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 60 frozen tater tots, this will vary based on your pan but it ends up being around 1/2 a regular size package
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Cook bacon in a saute pan over medium heat until crispy, around 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
Add onions to the pan and saute stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes to soften.
Add ground beef to the pan and use a wooden spoon to break it up. Saute for 5 minutes or until brown, stirring often. Drain well.
Add chili powder, salt, pepper and cornstarch to the ground beef mixture and stir to combine.
Add beef broth and cream of mushroom soup to the pan and mix until well combined.
Simmer for 5-10 minutes to reduce slightly, stirring often. Stir in peas.
Transfer to a 9" x 9" baking pan.
Top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and then crumble the bacon on top.
Line the top of the casserole with a single layer of frozen tater tots to cover.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until tater tots are golden brown and and the casserole is bubbly. Serve immediately.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions!
Looking for some other casserole recipes?
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie Casserole from It’s Yummi!
Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole from Barbara Bakes
Spinach & Chicken Enchiladas Bake from Tara Teaspoon
Chicken Noodle Soup Casserole from Frugal Foodie Mama
Pizza Pasta Casserole from I Heart Eating
Ham & Mac Casserole from Around My Family Table
Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole from Bread Booze Bacon
Chicken Noodle Casserole from Kleinworth & Co.
Spinach & Mushroom Alfredo Baked Ziti from It Bakes Me Happy
Chicken Tortilla Casserole from Home.Made.Interest.
Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Recipe from The Life Jolie Blog
Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake from The Two Bite Club
Pizza Tortellini Skillet Casserole from Cooking on the Front Burner
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli & Rice Casserole from House of Nash Eats
Here are some of my other favorite casserole recipes:
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!