These 30 Minute Foil Packet Chicken Fajitas are a quick and easy dinner for the grill or for the oven! This recipe can be prepped ahead making it a great option for weeknight meals or easy entertaining!
Lately I've been dying for Fajitas! It's like Taco Tuesday but it feels healthier, which I'm totally on board with.
Being that it's summer and and we want to enjoy the gorgeous weather for the (painfully short) time that it lasts, we really try to use our grill as often as possible.
So this hankering for Fajitas was really bugging me. It was hot, so I didn't want to turn on my stove or oven. Skewers are not exactly my favorite thing (I'll use them once in a while but more than anything I find them to be a bit of a hassle). I suppose I could have grilled bigger pieces of chicken and veggies but that also seemed like a hassle.
And that's when it occurred to me to grill them in neat, tidy little foil packets. I try not to toot my own horn (too much!) it really felt like a stroke of genius! J was also pretty excited about the minimal clean up, since he's a huge contributor to the cleaning of the meals.
This is a solid 30 minute recipe. It's perfect for a busy weeknight and can even be prepped ahead. And if you're not into the whole grilling-in-the-winter thing this can just as easily be baked in the oven (but guys, come on. Grill > oven in most cases).
I also think this is also an excellent option for entertaining. I'm a huge believer that cooking and food are one of the best ways to express my love. And as we all know, I'm all about working smarter not harder. This is such an easy recipe to prep ahead and then throw onto the grill while you and your friends enjoy a beverage on the deck (...and now that you know my weekend plans...)!
Some great recipes to serve alongside your Fajitas include:
- 7 Layer Taco Salad
- Roasted Corn Salsa
- Mexican Bean Salad
- The Most Delicious Guacamole EVER!
- 10 Minute Shrimp Salsa
30 MINUTE FOIL PACKET CHICKEN FAJITAS
Homemade Fajita Seasoning:
- 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper or ¼ if you like it spicy
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic Ancho Chili Powder
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 large chicken breasts sliced thin
- 1 ½ cups bell peppers sliced thin
- 1 ½ cups onions sliced thin
- 1-2 limes halved
- Flour tortillas
- Preheat your grill to medium.
- Combine all fajita seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, mix chicken, peppers and onions.
- Sprinkle with the fajita seasoning and toss until everything is well coated.
- Divide the mixture between 4 large pieces of tinfoil.
- Pull the top and bottom of the piece of foil and crimp the edges all around so that it's tightly closed.
- Please the packets in a single layer on the grill and cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- While the packets are cooking, wrap the flour tortillas in foil.
- When the 15 minutes is up, place the limes inside-down on the grill and place the tortillas onto the top rack (the indirect heat will warm these).
- Cook for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and enjoy!
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!