Grapefruit is such a delicious and refreshing breakfast option and I'm going to show you how to cut grapefruit in a quick and easy tutorial!
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
For the longest time I was on the fence about grapefruit. I was down with it, but it wasn't my favorite. I think my palate changed as I grew older and I got past the initial bitter bite and began to find it refreshing.
But it wasn't until our trip to Philly, back when I was pregnant with T, that I discovered my undying love for grapefruit. We were staying with my cousin Andrea and preparing a leisurely Saturday morning breakfast (or a leisurely as it can be with an 18 month old running around!).
Andrea asked if I wanted to split her grapefruit with her and I shrugged and said, "sure, why not?" Once it was cut, I sprinkled a little sugar over the top of my half and dove in.
It was in that very moment, that very bite, that my grapefruit addiction began. It was the most perfectly clean and delicious bite and after that I ate a grapefruit pretty much every morning even after my pregnancy was over. I still eat them often, though I've dialed back a bit.
How do you cut a grapefruit?
There are plenty of ways to cut a grapefruit, and any citrus fruit for that matter. But in my opinion, this is the best way to cut a grapefruit for simple consumption, specifically if you don't want to deal with peeling it (I cannot stand peeling citrus fruit!).
It allows you to enjoy the grapefruit without dealing with all the pith. I think it's that pith- which is the white stuff between the peel and the fruit- and the membrane that holds each wedge of fruit is what give grapefruit the bitterness that turns people off. This also makes it easy to eat with a fork (or a spoon; I know most people like to use a spoon, which I don't really get, but you do you!).
I like to add a nice sprinkle of sugar and dive right in. And of course the best part is drinking the juice. Because we're savages around here, me and my girls (that's right, the little one's love grapefruit too!) drink it directly from the grapefruit half. And I'm not even a little bit sorry about that!
Give this a try and you'll know how to cut a grapefruit like a pro in no time!
Here's what you'll need:
- Cutting board
- Chef's Knife
- Paring knife
How to cut grapefruit
- 1 paring knife
- 1 whole grapefruit
- ½ teaspoon A little sugar optional for sprinkling
- Place the grapefruit on the cutting board so that the top and bottom of it are on either side and the actual side of the grapefruit is on the board.
- Slice the grapefruit in half so that you have a top and a bottom.
- Place them onto the cutting board skin side down.
- Use the paring knife to cut around the perimeter of the grapefruit so that the peel and white pith is separate from the fruit all the way around.
- Now, starting at the middle of the fruit, cut on either side of each white line membrane so that you're effectively loosening each wedge of fruit from the membrane.
- Sprinkle with a bit of sugar and enjoy! The fruit should come right out with very little effort.
Another recipe I love featuring grapefruit is:
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don't forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn't your style, bookmark this post!
Let's keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
Leave a Reply