These Sweet and Spicy Baked Chicken Wings are a definite winner: quick and easy to throw together and they come out so crispy with the most fantastic sweet and spicy sauce that will have everyone begging for seconds!
This is a sponsored conversation on behalf of Litehouse. Thank you for supporting the brands that support this blog
Sweet and Spicy Baked Chicken Wings
Today I want to talk to you about a very important topic in all our lives. I don't know about you, but around here, crispy chicken wings are a game day must! Perhaps it's because we live in such close proximity to Buffalo, where all the Buffalo Wings magic really began. But either way, we love our wings!
I personally enjoy the combination of sweet and spicy when it comes to my wings. And, they must be extra crispy on the outside with perfectly tender chicken on the inside. So, I thought I'd throw together a killer chicken wings recipe that is super easy to whip up for all your game day festivities which requires the bare-minimum effort on your part!
The great dipping sauce debate: Litehouse has got you covered either way!
Now, as a wing lover, I believe you fall into one of two categories when it comes to the ever-important dipping sauce situation: Blue Cheese or Ranch. This is an age-old debate in our house as I have always firmly been in the Blue Cheese camp while my husband lives for Ranch dressing. The battle rages on and as you can imagine, we always have plenty of both varieties in our home at all times.
I was pretty happy to have the opportunity to collaborate with Litehouse. Litehouse Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing & Dip uses their artisan blue cheese chunks along with fresh buttermilk and homemade mayonnaise. Litehouse Homestyle Ranch Dressing & Dip has a really great combination of fresh herb and vegetable flavors. These are definite must-haves and make a delicious complement to all of your game day snacks and munchies!
I especially love that their jars come refrigerated so they're already chilled to perfection and ready for dipping- you can find them in the refrigerated section of the produce department at your local grocery store. So, you get all the great flavor without any artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or high fructose corn syrup. Plus, they're gluten-free!
Enter the Big Game Big Flavor sweepstakes for a chance to win a 65 Inch Flat Screen Television!
That's right, you read that correctly- my friends over at Litehouse are giving you a chance to win a 65-Inch Flat Screen TV! How awesome is that?! The giveaway goes from January 18th through February 9th, 2019. Click here for more information and to enter for your chance to win that awesome TV (and please know, that I'll be coming to your house for game day from now on- don't worry, I always bring good snacks!).
Tips for making this Baked Chicken Wings recipe
- Line the sheet pan with foil for easier clean up.
- If you own one, use a baking rack on top of the foil lined pan to help the wings crisp all around. This also allows the grease to drain off as the fat renders while cooking. Be sure to spray it well with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- I turn my wings half way through the cooking time for even crispiness.
- If you want your wings to be extra crispy, you can give them a nice blast for about 2 minutes per side under the broiler once cooking time ends, just keep a close eye on them so that they don't burn. Or you can give them a quick go in an air fryer for 5-10 minutes if you want.
- Go slowly when adding the sauce. Nobody likes soggy wings, and you can always serve leftover sauce on the side in case anyone likes extra.
- While the leftovers are still tasty, these are at their very best served immediately.
Frequently asked questions about making this chicken wings recipe
- How long does it take to bake chicken wings? A little over an hour.
- Should I thaw chicken wings before baking? Yes! It's always a good idea to that meat before baking and also prevents you from having to wait a million years for your wings to be ready!
- Should I boil chicken wings before baking? No, that's not necessary for this recipe.
- What should I serve with chicken wings? After I've tossed the wings in my sweet and spicy sauce, I love to serve them with Litehouse Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing and Dip and Litehouse Homestyle Ranch Dressing and Dip. And of course, you can't forget some nice, fresh celery and carrots, because those are great to dip in Litehouse dressings as well (And also pizza. Always pizza- dip the crust!).
- What temperature should baked chicken wings be served at? The safe temperature for consuming poultry is 165 degrees.
- When baking chicken wings, do you cover it? Nope! I like to leave mine uncovered so they get nice and crispy!
Make it a meal!
A few great recipes to round out and complete this meal would be:
- BBQ Crock Pot Meatballs
- Easy Instant Pot Chili
- Garbage Plate
- BLT Ranch Flatbread Pizza
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
Sweet and Spicy Baked Chicken Wings
- 3 ½ pounds fresh chicken wings (flats and drumettes)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup buffalo wing sauce (make sure it says wing sauce and not just hot sauce)
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- Litehouse Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing and Dip
- Litehouse Homestyle Ranch Dressing and Dip
- Celery and Carrots (optional- to serve on the side)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and top with a baking rack if you have one. Spray it well with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the flat and drumettes in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle with oil and toss to fully coat.
- Place all flats and drumettes onto the prepared pan so that they aren't touching.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Remove the pan from the oven and turn each flat and drumette.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Towards the end of the baking time, combine buffalo wing sauce and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat the sauce through, whisking periodically until it's just barely starting to simmer and steam is rising. Remove the sauce from the heat and set aside.
- (Optional) for extra crispy wings, bump the oven up to broil and broil each side for 2 minutes, keeping a close eye on them so that they don't burn.
- Place the cooked wing in a clean bowl and slowly drizzle with sauce.
- Toss to fully coat and serve immediately with Litehouse Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing and Dip or Litehouse Homestyle Ranch Dressing and Dip along with carrots and celery.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Litehouse.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
Other great chicken appetizer recipes are:
- Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites
- Chicken Swiss Dip
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!