This Sheet Pan Lemon Dill Salmon Recipe is the best healthy weeknight meal! With minimal ingredients this is an easy sheet pan dinner that's ready in just 20 minutes!
20 Minute Lemon Dill Baked Salmon Recipe
This post contains Affiliate Links. For more information please see the disclaimer here.
Sometimes you just need a quick, healthy meal that you can throw together really easily. This is one of those meals. I'm a person who loves dill and especially salmon with dill! It is so refreshing and delicious.
This would be tasty with any fish, although baked salmon is my favorite! Last week I made this dish with snapper. It comes together super quickly, which is perfect for a busy work night. This is a legit 20 minute meal (maybe 22 minutes if you really take your time in drizzling the oil and sprinkling the seasonings). And during that time the olive oil, lemon juice and seasonings blend together into a seriously delicious juice/sauce/concoction that you should really drizzle over all the things.
Ingredient information that's helpful to know:
Salmon: There are a variety of different types of salmon. I prefer wild caught for flavor and added nutrition (sockeye is my favorite) but farmed is fine too. I use filets for this.
Dill: Fresh dill is preferred, but I've made this a ton of times with dried dill and it's just as awesome. While fresh herbs are always preferable, it really doesn't matter too much in this recipe.
Asparagus: I like using asparagus that is medium thickness. If yours is super thin, maybe add it to the pan a couple minutes into cooking (or if it's really thick start it a couple minutes before adding the salmon to the pan).
Tips for making baked salmon fillet with lemon and dill
- I consider the ingredient amounts in this as a starting point. Since it's a quick "throw-together-meal" I don't even measure them out. I encourage you to season it to taste.
- Line the pan with foil or parchment for easy clean up.
- Pat the salmon dry before seasoning.
- I line the salmon down the center of the sheet pan and then place the asparagus on the sides of it.
How do you thaw frozen salmon?
There are two ways that are considered safe- the first is thawing in the refrigerator over night. The second is submerging in a bowl of cold water and changing the water every 30 minutes until thawed.
Can I grill this?
You can definitely grill this and it tastes amazing that way. Here are some tips for grilling:
- Be sure to grease the grill well.
- Preheat the grill before cooking so it's already hot.
- Grill the salmon skin-side down.
- You do not have to turn the salmon as it grills.
- Add the asparagus directly to the grill halfway through the salmon cooking time (or a bit earlier if its thick).
- If you really have your act together you can grill it on a cedar plank for even more robust flavor (make sure you soak the plank for a few hours first!).
- If you're intimidated by putting the fish directly on the grill, use a grill pan.
How do you prep asparagus?
Once you've washed the asparagus, gently start bending it at the woodsy end and it will naturally break where it's meant to. You can lightly peel the stalk part of the asparagus if you prefer (my mother in-law does) but I typically don't unless it's super thick.
How do you tell when the salmon is done?
It's good to go when a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 145 degrees. Let it rest for a couple minutes and dive in!
What should I serve with this?
You could also serve this with brown rice or farro if you're needing a starch (aren't we all?). Another fav is my french onion rice pilaf.
Leftovers, storage and reheating:
This reheats pretty well and lasts for a couple days in the fridge, making it an excellent salmon meal prep. The only downside is next day asparagus can get a bit soggy.
Ingredients that can be prepped ahead:
- Wash and trim asparagus
- Wash fresh dill
- Thaw salmon (if frozen)
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions!
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
20 Minute Lemon Dill Baked Salmon Recipe
- 4 salmon filets
- 1 bunch thin-medium width asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil divided
- 1-2 lemons (the juice from one lemon and the other lemon to cut into rounds for garnish and for extra lemon juice if you want)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Ground black pepper or to taste
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill, chopped (or 1 teaspoon if using dry
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Drizzle a little olive oil on the bottom of a sheet pan (or spray it with cooking spray).
- Line salmon up in the center of the pan. If there's skin, place the skin side down.
- Place the asparagus around the outside of the salmon, down the sides of the pan.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil onto the fish and asparagus.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the salmon and asparagus.
- Sprinkle the salmon and asparagus with salt, pepper, garlic powder and dill to taste (I tend to be very liberal with the dill, because I love it).
- Place a lemon rounds onto the top of each piece of fish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature is 145 degrees and the asparagus is cooked through.
- Serve immediately with extra lemons on the side.