Ready for a picnic side dish that isn't the same old salad selection we've all seen? This Blueberry Cucumber Salad recipe with Feta Cheese and a white balsamic dressing is light and refreshing! You'll want to bring it to every family gathering this summer!
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Check out some of my other salad recipes:
Blueberry Cucumber Salad Recipe
We all know the typical picnic go-to sides. Mac salad. Potato salad. Perhaps a green salad or even a jello salad. But today, I'm here to mix it up with a delicious and more interesting variation of a cucumber salad (although I still have serious love for my other cucumber salad recipes like Cucumber Tomato Salad and Asian Cucumber Salad.
This recipe was originally inspired by a salad created by Wegmans. I first tried it at my cousin's wedding party. Her and her husband were married in their home state of North Carolina and then came back north and hosted a big picnic to celebrate with all their friends and family that live up here. They had Wegmans cater it and the food was so good. But this salad was the real star of the show and I knew I had to make my own version of it.
I think the combination of blueberries and feta cheese is seriously genius- they go together perfectly. Wegmans recipe uses fresh mint, but I prefer basil. Mix it all up with some finely diced red onion and a super easy homemade white balsamic vinaigrette and you've got yourself a killer salad that's sure to please!
Tips for making cucumber salad
- Be sure to slice the onions super fine, so they add flavor but aren't super overwhelming.
- If you're looking for a more subdued onion flavor, you can submerge the chopped onion in an ice bath for 10 minutes to chill them out a bit (literally and figuratively!).
- I prefer to peel the cucumbers for this but if you're partial to the skin you can always cut them unpeeled.
Can I make Cucumber salad ahead?
Yes, but perhaps hold off on adding the cheese until just before serving.
Are cucumbers and vinegar a healthy snack?
Yes, just don't go too heavy on the salt!
What kind of cucumber should I use for cucumber salad?
I prefer to use English cucumbers for this as they have a minimal amount of seeds.
Can I use a different cheese instead of feta?
Yes! This would be fantastic with goat cheese too!
How long can you keep cucumbers in vinegar?
Around 3 days for the best texture.
Ingredients for making this cucumber blueberry salad
- Red onion
- Feta cheese
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
- White balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
How to make this cucumber salad
- Peel the cucumbers, slice them in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and slice. Chop the red onion as finely as you can and chiffonade the basil (I've got a great tutorial on the best way to do this!).
- Gently stir together the cucumbers, blueberries, feta cheese, onion, basil in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together olive oil, white balsamic vinegar and honey until well combined and pour over the salad.
- Toss everything together and season to taste with salt and pepper. Be sure to taste as you do this and adjust all ingredients to your taste.
Make it a meal!
A few great recipes to round out and complete this meal would be:
- Tropical Pineapple Chicken
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
- Balsamic Grilled Asparagus
- Raspberry Lemon Icebox Pie
Blueberry Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 4 cups english cucumbers peeled, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out and sliced (around 2 large English cucumbers)
- 1 pint blueberries
- ¼ cup red onion finely diced
- ¾ cup Feta cheese
- 8-10 large fresh basil leaves chiffonade
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine cucumbers, blueberries, red onion, Feta cheese and basil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar and honey until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!