This Un-Stuffed Bell Peppers Skillet is a delicious one pot meal and a great way to use leftover rice. It’s ready in 30 minutes and takes all the work out of traditional stuffed peppers which makes it an easy option for a weeknight dinner!
Un-Stuffed Bell Peppers Skillet
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
This recipe is something of a happy accident. Back when I was pregnant with my youngest, we had taken our older daughter over to my parents house in the afternoon on Halloween to show them her costume. My mom was planning on making her stuffed peppers and had just prepared the filling and placed it onto the table in front of me while she hollowed out her peppers. Poor decision, Mom.
Since I was in that stage of my pregnancy where I was eternally hungry, I started picking at it. It tasted so good that I couldn’t stop eating it until she eventually had to give me a friendly but stern talking-to (like only a mother can).
I liked it so much that I decided to recreate it as unstuffed peppers, with my mom’s help, of course. Think of it as all the delicious components of stuffed peppers but with less work! It’s ready in around 30 minutes and so darn cheesy and delicious, you’ll see why I couldn’t stop eating it!
Tips for making this stuffed pepper casserole
- You can totally use leftover rice instead of cooking it fresh.
- I remove the sausage from it’s casings by cutting a slit down the middle length-wise.
- Try to cut the onions, peppers and tomatoes to around the same size.
Frequently asked questions about making sausage and rice unstuffed peppers
- Can I use spicy sausage? Yes!
- How do you reheat un-stuffed bell peppers? I reheat this in individual servings in the microwave.
- How long does this sausage and rice casserole with peppers last? Around 3-4 days covered in the refrigerator.
- Can this be made ahead? This is best made just before serving.
- Can I use brown rice? Yes, any plain, cooked rice you like!
Make it a meal!
A few great recipes to round out and complete this meal would be:
- Easy Garlic Green Beans
- Summer Bounty Strawberry Salad
- Grandma's Best Banana Cake
- Quick and Easy Chocolate Pudding Cake
Un-Stuffed Bell Peppers Skillet
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed (you can also use spicy sausage)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 ½ cups red bell pepper, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic , minced or pressed
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 medium tomato seeded and diced
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 4 ounces water (use the sauce can, filled half way)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons Romano cheese
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in large saute pan over medium high heat.
- Add Italian sausage and brown, using a wooden spoon to break into pieces, about 4 minutes. Remove from the pan leaving oil and juices in the pan and set it aside.
- Add onions, peppers, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Saute for about 6 minutes to soften, stirring often.
- Add the tomato, the sauce, ½ a can of water (use the can that the sauce was in), Italian seasoning, Romano cheese, rice and the meat into the pan. Saute for 5 more minutes, stirring periodically.
- Top with the mozzarella cheese and cover for 2 minutes until it's melted. Serve immediately.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
Try some other quick dinners:
- Sheet Pan Beef and Broccoli
- Florentine Chicken Pasta
- Easy Meatloaf and Potatoes Dinner
- Weeknight Oven Quesadillas
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
Alana - Burnished Chaos says