This Asian Cucumber Salad Recipe is a quick and simple side dish that can be whipped up in minutes. With a spicy kick from the crushed red pepper flakes, you’ve got a simple salad that’s sure to please!
Asian Cucumber Salad
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Check out some of my other salad recipes:
Everyone in our home seriously loves cucumbers! They’re light, refreshing and have a delicious crunch that none of us can resist. And although I typically use them in my Cucumber Tomato Salad, Sometimes it’s good to shake things up a bit!
This Thai cucumber salad has a seriously delicious combination of flavors and textures. You have the crunchy cucumbers and onions. Sesame oil brings a super unique flavor (in addition to the sesame seed garnish). The rice vinegar and sugar bring some sweet and tangy flavors to the dressing and crushed red pepper flakes add a nice, spicy kick!
Tips for making Asian Cucumber Salad
- Peel the cucumbers and gently scoop out any seeds before slicing. I like to slice my cucumbers on the thinner side.
- I also like to slice my red onions a thinly as possible, almost shaving them.
- The amount of crushed red pepper I use gives a nice spicy kick without being overwhelming. Feel free to add more or less to your taste.
- Be sure to taste before serving and adjust the seasonings accordingly.
How long do cucumbers last in vinegar?
Around 3 days for optimal texture.
Are cucumbers and vinegar a healthy snack?
Yes, just don’t go too heavy on the salt!
What kind of cucumber should I use for cucumber salad?
I prefer to use English cucumbers for this as they have a minimal amount of seeds.
What variety of onion is best?
I prefer red onion for this recipe as it’s super flavorful!
What type of oil and vinegar can I use for Cucumber Salad?
I like to use sesame oil and rice vinegar to stay with the Asian flavor profile.
What are the ingredients for this Asian Cucumber Salad recipe?
- Red onion
- Kosher salt
- Crushed red pepper
- Rice vinegar
- Sesame oil
- Granulated sugar
- Sesame seeds
How to make cucumber salad
- Peel, scoop out the seeds and slice the cucumbers thin.
- Slice the onions thin.
- Mix the cucumbers and onions in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and crushed red pepper.
- In a small bowl whisk oil, vinegar and granulated sugar really well.
- Pour over the salad, toss to coat ad sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Make it a meal!
A few great recipes to round out and complete this meal would be:
- Crunchy Red Cabbage Salad
- Tropical Pineapple Chicken
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
- Balsamic Grilled Asparagus
- Raspberry Lemon Icebox Pie
This Asian Cucumber Salad Recipe is a quick and simple side dish that can be whipped up in minutes. With a spicy kick from the crushed red pepper flakes, you've got a simple salad that's sure to please!
- 3 1/2 cups cucumbers, peeled, seeds scooped out and sliced thin
- 1 cup red onion sliced thin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes,
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
Place cucumbers and onions into a large bowl.
Season with salt and crushed red pepper.
In a small bowl whisk together oil, vinegar and granulated sugar until well combined.
Pour dressing over salad and toss well until fully coated.
Refrigerate or serve immediately with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!