This 30 Minute Turkey Chili is one of the ultimate comfort foods- not only is it healthy and easy to make, it has the best flavor. Ready in 30 minutes, this is definitely a keeper!
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Chili is always a good ideas and it’s even better when it’s ready in 30 minutes! This is actually a very loosely adapted Rachael Ray recipe that my mom has been making for years. You know how once in a while you come across a recipes that is the magical trifecta of quick, easy and so darn delicious that it becomes your family's new go-to? This is that ground turkey chili recipe for us.
Now all I know a lot of purists out there probably took one look at the title and did some sort of face-to-palm motion. And I get it. Chili is supposed to go for several hours to develop all of those amazing flavors. And of course there's the substitution of ground turkey for what would normally be beef. You guys, I know. My inner carnivore is also shaking her head at me right now.
But bear with me and give this chili a shot. It may buck tradition, but it brings a slew of delicious positives as well. First of all, ain't nobody got time to be simmering chili for hours.
Additionally, the use of ground turkey obviously makes this healthier. So I'm going to feel much less guilty about covering it in cheese and sour cream (just kidding, I never feel guilty about that! #noregrets!). But the biggest thing, forever and always, is the taste. While this may not simmer all night, in 30 minutes you're still able to pack some major punch.
Tips for making this turkey chili recipe
- Be sure to scrape all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan after you pour in the beer- that’s where all the flavor is!
- If there is excess grease, be sure to drain it before adding the spices.
Frequently asked questions about making healthy turkey chili
- What goes with turkey chili? You can really put whatever you want on top, but I prefer sour cream, tortilla chips, sliced green onions and plenty of cheese. Avocado is also a great addition!
- How long does this last? This will last for 3-4 days covered in the refrigerator.
- Can you freeze turkey chili? Yes, this freezes very well!
Make it a meal!
A few great recipes to round out and complete this meal would be:
- Cast iron dutch oven or this kind of dutch oven
- Wooden spoon
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
30 Minute Turkey Chili
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ½ pounds ground turkey
- 4 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-3 Tablespoon hot sauce depending on how spicy you want it (I used 1.5 Tbsp. of Franks Red Hot)
- 1 large onion, diced (they say to reserve some on the side for topping, I just put them all in)
- 2 bell peppers seeds removed and diced
- 1 can beer
- 1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 14 ounce can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn (I used frozen)
- cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- green onion, chopped
- tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add ground turkey and brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Once the turkey is browned add chili powder, cumin, Worchestershire sauce and hot sauce (if there's excess grease, drain before adding the spices). Mix well to coat the turkey.
- Add onions an peppers and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add beer and deglaze the pan, scraping to get all the brown bits off of the bottom of your pan. Simmer for a 2-3 minutes to cook of the alcohol a bit.
- Add tomato sauce,BBQ sauce, beans and corn and let it simmer and bubble for 10 minutes, stirring once in a while. Serve immediately, reheat it later, or freeze.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
Other great chili and soups recipes are:
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
Arti Hartel says
Shann Eva says
CJ Huang | Morsels of Life says
Tennille @ Two Kids And a Budget says