It's always a good idea to have an easy guacamole recipe up your sleeve and this one is seriously the best- fantastic, zesty flavor with an awesome secret ingredient to helps take the guacamole to the next level. It's a healthy snack for any celebration or game day!
This post contains Affiliate Links. For more information please see the disclaimer here.
Guacamole. Who doesn't love it? Actually, J doesn't love it. But I'm perfectly ok with that because that means more guacamole for me!
I didn't grow up eating a large amount of avocados. I'm not really sure why. They aren't exactly cost efficient in this part of the country (to my knowledge avocados don't generally grow in places that are freezing for at least half of the year). But as I've gotten older, these have really made their way into my diet. Part of that enthusiasm may be from joining a family of great people who live in California and have access to plenty of fresh and delicious avocados.
When J and I were first dating, he took me to Las Vegas to go on a house-boating trip with a group of
his our friends. Our dear friend Angie introduced me to the concept of avocado as a burger topping. Though I was aware of it, I'd never actually tried it. Needless to say, I was hooked.
My mother-in-law usually slices avocado into her salads (which are always really delicious, like everything else that she cooks). Over the years, avocado pretty much kept finding it's way into my diet, and I'm very happy about that. In a pinch I like to cut it in half, squeeze some lemon (or lime) over it and a little salt and pepper and go to town. But when I have a little more time and some extra ingredients, I love throwing together a delicious guacamole.
Everyone has their own ideas about what makes an amazing guacamole. There are so many takes on it, and that's really the beauty of this recipe- like most recipes that I post, there are any number of variations and avenues you can take with it, and it generally turns out pretty delicious. For me, it's all about having a nice balance between the fresh veggies, the citrus flavor that the lime adds, a bit of heat from the jalapenos, a few bits of spices that I randomly throw in, and one special, secret ingredient.
Tequila! (Dah-dum-duh-duh-duh-duh-dum-dum! *ala Peewee Herman).
You're probably reading this and scratching your head thinking "Tequila? isn't that what you're supposed to drink or shoot along side your guacamole?" And to that I say- yes! Drink it! Tequila is delicious, albeit dangerous (I still stand by my original stance of delicious, but then I'm pretty good about knowing my limits...most of the time).
I don't know what it is but a very small amount of tequila, as in maybe a half shot *at most* for every three avocados, is almost like the magical tie that binds all of these delicious ingredients. I promise, you won't taste the booze- it's such a small amount that you throw in.
The purpose is not to get drunk (though if you want to, I encourage you to splurge on a nicer tequila ad add much more that I do- there is very little in this recipe). On the flip side, if you decide to leave it out, rest assured, this guacamole will still be delicious.
Serve this Guacamole with:
- Mexican Lasagna Roll-Ups
- 7 Layer Taco Salad
- Super Easy Baked Breakfast Tostadas
- 30 Minute Turkey Chili
- 20 Minute Taco Pasta
- Roasted Corn Salsa
- Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos
- Mexican Bean Salad
- Cilantro Cauliflower Rice
- The Easiest Slow Cooker Taco Meat EVER!
The most delicious guacamole EVER.
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 small onion diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 medium tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 good size jalapeno diced (if you like it extra spicy, leave the seeds in)
- A good size handful of cilantro roughly chopped
- Cumin chili powder, salt, pepper; all sprinkled to taste (I tried measuring it and they came out to around ½ tsp. each of cumin and chili powder, ¾ of a teaspoon of salt and a liberal grinding of pepper). And if you're really wanting to feel the burn, maybe a tiny bit of cayenne pepper (tread lightly!)
- ½ shot of tequila ¾ of an ounce
- The juice of 1-2 limes to taste
- Chips for dipping and a big old Margarita!
- Mash up the avocado so that it is smooth with a decent amount of texture to it.
- Add the next five ingredients and mix well.
- Season the guacamole to taste (this is the fun part because you get to taste it as you go).
- Add the tequila and lime juice and taste until you have the balance that you're looking for.
- Serve immediately or within the next few hours (I cover the bowl with saran wrap touching the top layer of guacamole to reduce the amount of brown).
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don't forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!