This Mexican Bean Salad Recipe is a quick and easy throw-together salad that’s full of great flavor!
Mexican Bean Salad
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
I have a confession to make. When I was first introduced to the idea of this salad, I was a bit of a hater. Maybe hater is an exaggeration. A more accurate word is indifferent. We were at my sister’s apartment after a gorgeous day playing in the pool and we were having a taco night. Our mom called and said she was going to make a Mexican bean salad. And Nicci and I were both like “meh, whatever you want.”
It’s not that we were against the idea of a bean salad, we were just tired and didn’t really care. We tend to always fall into the same habits on our taco nights. This consists of the actual tacos, mexi rice and canned refried beans. It really comes down to a combination of laziness and a picky husband.
You can bet that I was eating my words once I tasted that Mexican salad! Seriously, you guys. It was a flavor and textural explosion in my mouth and I was not sad about it! I’m a huge lover of cilantro to begin with and the chili powder and cumin add a fantastic savory flavor. The sweetness of the corn and the acid from the lime juice and tomatoes also play really well together.
But my favorite thing is the crunch from the celery. My mom and sister were laughing at me because I kept exclaiming how much I loved the delicious crunch that the celery added to this dish. In my opinion, it elevated the whole dish and I could not stop eating it!
Tips for making bean salad recipes
- This can totally be made in advance. It makes an awesome meal prep for lunches.
- To speed up the process, you can use a garlic press. It’s the quickest way to get the right texture for the garlic. A mini-prep processor is always helpful to speed up chopping in general (I use the one I linked constantly!).
- This can totally be made into a three bean salad by adding a can of another type of bean of your choice.
- If you prefer a spicier salad, feel free to leave the seeds in the pepper.
- If you hate cilantro, feel free to substitute fresh parsley.
- Garlic press
- Mini-prep processor
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing bowl
This Mexican Bean Salad Recipe is a quick and easy throw-together salad that's full of great flavor!
- 1 14.5 ounce can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can black bean, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 1 1/4 cups tomatoes, diced
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, pressed or smashed and sprinkled with a pinch of salt
- 1-2 serrano pepper, seeded and minced (you can also leave the seeds if you want a much spicier salad)
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, cleaned and chopped
- The juice of 1 lime (about 2-3 Tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Mix all ingredients well.
Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste.
Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to a week.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions!
Try some other great salad recipes:
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!