This American Flag Fruit Pizza is a festive dessert to bring to your next gathering! It's light, fresh and seriously easy to throw together.
American Flag Fruit Pizza
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Check out some of my other fruit dessert recipes:
- Pina Colada Dump Cake
- Cherry Cheesecake Pie
- Raspberry Lemon Icebox Pie
- Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
In my opinion, on of the best picnic desserts is a fruit pizza! It's light, fresh and delicious on a hot day. In general I prefer fruit desserts and a good fruit pizza recipe is like a fruit tart without all the hassle!
I decided to add a patriotic twist to this particular sugar cookie fruit pizza by shaping and decorating it to make it look like an American flag. With all the great patriotic holidays that come up throughout the summer, this will be your new go-to dessert.
Tips for making this fruit pizza recipe
- Use the dry cookie mix. I tested this with the refrigerated mix and it came out in a strange shape. I ended up using Betty Crocker Sugar cookie mix and adding 3 Tablespoons of flour as the recommended for their cut-out cookie variation.
- Instead of battling it out with a rolling pin, I used my hands to spread the dough out to fit into a 15.5 Inch x 10.5 Inch Pan. Try to make sure it's evenly distributed.
- Let the dough cool completely.
- Let the cream cheese soften to make the frosting smoother and easier to spread.
- Try to cut the strawberries in half so that they're around the same size- if needed, trim the sides slightly.
What fruit do you use on fruit pizza?
For this particular recipe, I use strawberries and blueberries.
How do you decorate fruit pizza?
I find it easiest to start with the blueberries (the part of the flag that is usually start on a blue background). I make the outside of that rectangle in the upper left corner and then I fill it in with blueberries. After that I use the strawberries to make stripes.
Does this have to be a flag?
No! You can use water fruits you enjoy most and create whatever pattern you like best.
Can I use refrigerated cookie dough instead of the dry mix?
You can, but the shape may not come out with edges that are as straight. If you decide to use a refrigerated sugar cookie dough, once you've shaped it on the pan, I encourage you to chill it for at least an hour to prevent spreading.
Can you make fruit pizza in advance?
You can make the cookie the day before. Cool it completely and then cover it tightly in plastic wrap and store overnight on your counter. I'd encourage you to make the frosting and decorate with fruit within a few hours of serving so that everything is as fresh as possible.
How long does fruit pizza last?
A couple days covered in the refrigerator. I encourage you to store it in a single layer as cutting and stacking it could adversely affect the texture.
Can you freeze fruit pizza?
You can freeze the baked crust up to three months. Cool it completely and wrap it well in plastic wrap.
What are the ingredients for fruit pizza?
- Dry sugar cookie mix- I used Betty Crocker.
- 1 egg
- 3 Tablespoons flour (as per the package directions for cutout cookies)
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
- Confectioner's sugar
How to make fruit pizza
- Mix the cookie dough ingredients and sue your hands to spread it evenly over a pan lined with parchment.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes and cool completely.
- Mix frosting ingredients until well combined and spread evenly over the cookie crust.
- Use the blueberries to make the blue section of the flag in the upper left corner.
- Line up strawberries to make the stripes.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- 15.5 Inch x 10.5 Inch Pan
- Mixing bowl
- Offset spatula
- Stand mixer or Hand mixer
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
American Flag Fruit Pizza
- 1 package dry sugar cookie mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 2 sticks salted butter, softened and divided (one is as per the cookie package directions)
- 1 large egg (as per cookie package directions)
- 3 Tablespoons flour (as per cookie package directions)
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ pounds strawberries, stems removed and halved
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat the as per package directions (mine was 350 degrees) and line a 15.5" x 10.5" sheet pan with parchment. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix cookie mix, 1 stick butter, egg and flour until well combined.
- Spread evenly over sheet pan to form crust.
- Bake 11-13 minutes until the edges are starting to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- While the crust cools mix remaining stick butter, cream cheese, confectioner's sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Spread evenly over cooled crust.
- Use the blueberries to form a rectangle in the upper left corner of the the pizza.
- Line up rows of strawberries on the remaining pizza to form the stripes.
- Refrigerate until serving.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!