This Fresh Strawberry Cake Recipe is the ultimate way to use all those fantastic strawberries that are currently in season. It’s very easy to make from scratch and comes out delicious every single time with tons of delicious strawberries and a crumb topping that can’t be beat!
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
I don’t know about you, but I love a good snacking cake. Especially one with fruit in it. It’s always nice with a cup of coffee, and dare I say, it’s a great excuse to eat cake for breakfast!
I love that this is the kind of cake you’ll constantly find yourself going back to for just one more bite. It’s perfect to bring to a summer gathering for great strawberry flavor and whips up in no time at all. All in all, a great cake recipe.
Tips for making this Strawberry Crumb Cake
- Although the original recipe calls for an 8″x”8 square pan, I find it easiest to use an 8 inch springform pan for easiest removal. If that’s not available, an 8 inch cake pan (square or round) will work fine.
- Be sure to spray your pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper for easy removal.
- This recipe calls for dry ingredients and wet ingredients to be mixed separately first- be sure to follow this, as it’ll make it all a little easier and cut down on unnecessary dirty dishes.
- Don’t over-beat the cake batter- beat until just combined.
- To make the crumb topping, mix all ingredients except for the nuts and cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or a fork. Then add the chopped nuts.
- Once the batter is spread evenly over the bottom of the pan, top evenly with the sliced strawberries and then the crumb topping.
- You’ll know it’s done because a toothpick inserted into the middle will come out clean.
Can I use frozen strawberries?
Yes, but be sure to thaw and drain them really well.
Do I have to refrigerate this cake?
I kept it wrapped on my counter for a few days and it worked out well.
Can I freeze strawberry cake?
Yes, just wrap it really well and it will last in the freezer for around 3 months.
Do I have to use nuts in the crumb topping?
No, feel free to omit them if you prefer.
Ingredients for this homemade strawberry cake
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable or canola oil
- Vanilla extract
- Brown sugar
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Stand mixer or Hand mixer
- 8″ Springform pan or 8 inch cake pan
This Fresh Strawberry Cake Recipe is the ultimate way to use all those fantastic strawberries that are currently in season. It's very easy to make from scratch and comes out delicious every single time with tons of delicious strawberries and a crumb topping that can't be beat!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into cubes (1/2 stick)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 8 inch spring form pan by spraying with cooking spray and lining with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together four, sugar, baking powder and kosher salt to combine.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together egg, milk, oil and vanilla extract until well combined.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients into the well.
Beat until just combined, about a minute.
Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth into an even layer.
Arrange strawberries over the top of the batter in a single layer.
In a medium bowl combine flour and brown sugar.
Add cold butter use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the butter until crumbly.
Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the top of the strawberries.
Bake for around 40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool and serve.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make it please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!