This homemade Three Cheese Garlic Bread recipe is a super easy accompaniment to a delicious Italian meal (or any meal for that matter!). It's really quick to spread with butter, herbs and a ton of melted cheese and pre-cut so that it's even easier to pull apart and enjoy with dinner! This is a major family favorite!
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Remember how a couple years ago we went to Philadelphia a few weeks before Christmas? I was right at the edge of crossing over into the third trimester of my pregnancy with Tess and A was a teeny, pint sized 18 month old.
I didn't go too much into detail about our drive to Philadelphia in that post. That was my last long trip before T was born and our first road trip since A had really started walking. I was a little terrified and not sure what to expect.
Luckily, my back pain was no worse than usual that day and A did pretty well, all things considered. It helped that we had to stop an hour or so outside of Philadelphia so that J could take some sort of work-related call. This was also the time that A began to get a bit antsy, so it worked out nicely. J got his work stuff handled, I stretched my legs. And by stretched my legs, I mean I chased A around for 45 minutes while she got all her wiggles out.
When we got to Philly, it was right around dinner time. And let me tell you, it was an amazing dinner. My cousin Andrea pulled out all the stops and made the most killer lasagna. After a long trip like that, I was dying for a home-cooked meal and I cannot think of anything more delicious in that moment!
What's even more incredible is that unbeknownst to us at the time, Andrea was right in the thick of the first trimester of her pregnancy with her sweet baby Maria. And not only were she and her husband still willing to host us for the weekend, but she went above and beyond to prepare some insanely delicious meals and even partook in the Ikea trip from hell, which was full of enough toddler tantrums to make anyone want to rethink having babies (and she was beyond gracious and helpful through every second of it!). She's seriously a rockstar.
Along with the lasagna, she also threw together some homemade garlic bread and it was so delicious and so simple in a way that made me wonder why in the world I hadn't ever made my own garlic bread. So I tucked that away in the back of my mind, because I knew I should probably give it a try at some point.
Fast forward a year and a half, the world now has more two more sweet babies roaming the countryside and doing their baby thing and I'm finally getting around to making my own homemade garlic bread inspired by Andrea's!
Now I've noticed our little Freimann family unit has fallen into a bit of a pattern when it comes to the bread served with our pasta. I don't know why it is this way, but generally when we have the real-deal Sunday Sauce and Meatballs, I tend to get plain Italian bread to serve along side. For any other pasta dishes that don't involve the sacred family sauce, I tend to get Texas Toast from the freezer section. It's a total guilty pleasure and we all enjoy savory, cheesy, crispy bite!
So in addition to my inspiration from our Philadelphia trip, I decided to combine the things I loved most about our bread habits to make this crazy delicious and dangerously addictive homemade three cheese garlic bread. I encourage you to get a good bread knife to get a nice clean cut before transferring it to your pan. This is speaking as someone who didn't get a bread knife until this year and what a difference!
The best part is that it takes mere minutes to throw together and packs quite a punch in terms of flavor! Seriously you guys, it was nearly a Battle Royale for that last piece. And the stretchy, stringy cheese brings all the wow factor! You can make as much or as little as you'd like based on how many people you have eating. And feel free to alter the measurements to your unique tastes! Here's some more melty cheese shot (because one can never have enough melty cheese shots!):
Serve this bread with:
Homemade Three Cheese Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf of good Italian bread
- 6 Tbsp. salted butter softened
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. black pepper or crushed red pepper if you're feeling spicy!
- 1-2 cups of a mix of shredded mozzarella and shredded provolone my local store sells this as an Italian cheese mix or a pizza cheese mix.
- ¼-1/2 cup Romano cheese
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees and line a pan with foil for easy clean up.
- Cut your bread through the middle, length-wise so that there are two even pieces (a top and a bottom) and lay them onto the pan so that the cut sides are facing up. Make slices every couple of inches going most of the way through but still leaving the bottom in tact so that it's easier to pull individual pieces once it's baked.
- Mix the butter, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and black pepper until well combined. Spread this onto both pieces of bread.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then remove from the oven. Switch your oven from bake to broil.
- Sprinkle the bread with the cheeses and place them back into the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese and melted and bubbly. Keep an eye on the bread so that it doesn't burn! Enjoy right away.
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don't forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!