This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, MARS Incorporated. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeInTheFun #CollectiveBias
These Brownie Truffles are an easy chocolate dessert recipe and an excellent gift to give this holiday season. It’s a super-simple recipe made with rich, fudgy brownies and a surprise in the middle. These are a pretty addition to any Christmas cookie platter that the whole family will love!
One of the things I love most about this season is giving gifts. There is something so special about seeing the look on other people’s faces when you give them something great. I especially love that I get to teach my girls what an awesome feeling it is to give gifts to others.
A few years ago, I’ve started a tradition of giving homemade gifts to our neighbors. We happen to live in a neighborhood full of really, really nice people. So I try to bring them something delicious each year and spread a little cheer while I’m at it. It’s fun, I bundle A (and now T) up and we make our rounds and deliver some treats.
Every year I try to find or create delicious recipes to make and give. The best thing about holiday baking is that these treats provide two gifts in one. The first is the gift of family time: getting to bake and bond with my family. Not to mention enjoying these treats together. The other gift is baking these treats and giving them to the people we love. So it really is a win for everyone involved!
This year I knew I wanted to do something of the truffle variety. Not the delicious, woodsy fungi that you find shaved over pasta at a fancy restaraunt. The chocolate kind. Because chocolate is always a good idea!
You know, I made truffles once, as a newlywed. And they were delicious. But they were not the most simple thing to make. In truth, they were a bit of a hassle and were pretty messy. Let’s just say I was finding chocolate remnants in random nooks and crannies in my kitchen for months afterwards!
Now, if you’re on Pinterest and have a feed that shows you a decent amount of food, you’ve probably seen cake balls or cake pops. These are nothing new; they’re simple to make, tasty to eat and they look adorable. Basically, a great option for a simple gift to share.
But I wanted something a bit more rich and decadent. Because if there is ever a time to indulge, the holidays are that time! With that in mind, I set out to make some brownie truffles.
Now I could have made brownies from scratch. But I’m all for the work smarter, not harder state of mind. Luckily for me, Pillsbury™ makes a some pretty fantastic options for quick and delicious for baked goods.
For these, I used the Pillsbury™ Family Size Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix along with some Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Vanilla Flavored Frosting. I’ve been using a variety Pillsbury™ products for a long time, so collaborating on a delicious truffle recipe was the easiest decision ever.
I also knew I wanted to add a little something extra to make these even more special and festive. So I added some M&M’S® Brand Minis Milk Chocolate Baking Bits as a fun surprise inside of the truffles as well as a nice decorative touch on top.
I had a super-easy time finding all of the ingredients and Pillsbury™ products at my local Walmart in the Baking Aisle.
The result was a simple-to-make truffle with a dark chocolate shell. The inside is soft and fudgy brownie with the M&M’S® Brand Minis Milk Chocolate Baking Bits. I love the bit of crunch the red and green sugar sprinkles add to the candy shell along with the pretty pop of color from the red and green M&M’S® Brand Minis Milk Chocolate Baking Bits.
As I mentioned, these make excellent gifts to share with your friends and family. They also freeze well, although I doubt they’ll make it to the freezer because they’re so delicious you probably won’t be able to stop eating them (try them with a nice cold glass of Great Value® brand milk!).
These Brownie Truffles are an easy chocolate dessert recipe and an excellent gift to give this holiday season. It's a super-simple recipe made with rich, fudgy brownies and a surprise in the middle. These are a pretty addition to any Christmas cookie platter that the whole family will love!
2 hrPrep Time
30 minCook Time
2 hr, 30 Total Time
Yields About 48 Brownie Truffles
- Pillsbury™ Family Size Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of CRISCO® cooking oil
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Vanilla Flavored Frosting
- 1 bag of dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. of coconut oil, I measured this in it's solid form (or you can use butter)
- M&M’S® Brand Minis Milk Chocolate Baking Bits (I used the green and red candies to be more festive for the holidays)
- Red and green sugar sprinkles
- Preheat your oven as per the brownie mix directions.
- Mix the brownie mix, eggs, oil and water until well combined and bake according to the package directions.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely.
- Crumble the brownies into a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, warm the frosting for 30 seconds and pour it into the bowl with the crumbled brownies.
- Wash and dry your hands well and use them to mix the brownies and frosting until fully combined.
- Roll the brownies into 1 inch balls around 3-4 of the M&M’S® Brand Minis Milk Chocolate Baking Bits. I found that the best way to do this was to flatten your piece of brownie mixture in the palm of your hand, place the M&M’S® Brand Minis Milk Chocolate Baking Bits into the middle of it and then build the sides of the brownie ball up and around them until they're completely enclosed. Then roll them into a smooth, circular shape and place them onto a wax paper lined pan.
- Once they're all rolled, place the pan with the brownie balls into the freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- Melt your chocolate one of two ways- either over low heat in a double boiler stirring frequently or in the microwave in increments of 20 seconds, 20 seconds, then 10 seconds, stirring in between until it's fully melted.
- At this point, stir in your coconut oil.
- Roll each brownie ball until its fully covered in the melted chocolate and then place onto a pan lined with wax paper. While the chocolate is still wet, top it with an M&M’S® Brand Minis Milk Chocolate Baking Bit and sprinkle with the sugar sprinkles.
- Chill them in the fridge to set the chocolate for at least an hour (or overnight) and then transfer them to an air tight container until you're ready to serve.
These do not have to be stored in the refrigerator, I just like them cold!
This post was sponsored by Collective Bias and it’s advertiser, MARS Incorporated. As always, the opinions are 100% mine. Thank you for supporting the brands that help support this blog. For more information, please see my disclaimer.
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!