This Pea Pesto Flatbread recipe is a quick and delicious appetizer. It's super easy to make and full of fresh spring flavors and topped with asparagus and shaved Pecorino Romano cheese. This is perfect for a warm summer night while sipping wine on your patio!
This post contains Affiliate Links. For more information please see the disclaimer here.
Do you guys watch a lot of TV? We actually got rid of the satellite TV package about one year ago. It was a bit of a transition because we had both been raised with cable, and up until that time were totally used to having it.
But I'll be completely honest with you, we haven't really missed it. That's not so say we don't still watch TV. We have an Apple TV as well as an Xbox, and use the Hulu Plus, Netflix and Disney Junior apps regularly. Most of this serves as background noise while we get our work done after the girls go to bed outside of a limited amount of Mickey or PJ Masks for A.
But one of my favorite shows to watch during my lunch break each day (gotta love streaming on my iPhone!) is The Chew. Don't their jobs just look super fun?! Getting to cook and hang out with people who have also become your friends each day (in front of a live studio audience haha!). #goals
In addition to loving the personalities of the hosts, I am constantly inspired by all the delicious recipes that are shared each day. And that's actually where the inspiration for this recipe was born.
In an episode that aired about a month ago, Michael Symon was talking about throwing together a last minute meal for his wife with a few things that they already had on hand. He ended up making a Pea Pesto and served it over pasta and I was all "Dude, I gotta try that."
So I pulled out my mini prep processor and threw a bunch of things in that I thought might be tasty together. After a little tweaking, I got the balance just right for what I was looking to do.
Because, you see, I was not looking to serve this over pasta like Michael Symon did (I know, you guys. How dare I EVER not include pasta?! I'm to WORST.). Don't get me wrong, this would be totally delicious over a nice bowl of fresh pasta! But I had something a little different in mind.
Pea. Pesto. Flatbreads. Boom!
I had this vision of sitting out on my patio, sipping a glass of dry white wine and biting into one of these guys as a warm breeze blows through the trees and my girls run around in the yard. Ugh, summer I love you so! Side note: this is totally out of character for me, I'm typically in the red-wine-or-no-wine camp with the exception of Prosecco and champagne.
First of all, this is super easy to throw together, even at the last possible second. It's ready in a matter of minutes and you can easily switch up the toppings to your taste.
I personally fell in love with these topped with asparagus (upgrade: grill them, like these!), a small amount of melted Asiago cheese, sweet peas, crushed red pepper for a spicy kick and finished with shaved Pecorino Romano when it comes out of the oven.
I am not even slightly ashamed to say I ate every single one of these, though I spread it out over a couple days. It actually made an awesome lunch the bring to work and the flatbread even maintained it's delicious crunch! I enjoyed it with my Green Bean Salad (which I had also photographed the day before- work smarter, not harder!).
So what are you waiting for? Go make these!
Other great appetizers that would be great with a glass of wine include:
- Artichoke Asiago Dip
- Salami Chips with a Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Apple Bacon Brie Bites
- Bloody Mary Cheeseball
- Sweet and Spicy Kielbasa Bites
- Olive and Gruyere Puff Pastry Tartlets
- BLT Bruschetta
- Strawberry Goat Cheese Tart
- Shrimp with Pesto and Prosciutto
- Summer Berry Dessert Crostini
Pea Pesto Flatbread with Asparagus and Shaved Pecorino Romano
For the pesto:
- 1 cup of peas with a small handful reserved to top the flatbreads (if you're using frozen peas, thaw them. For fresh, blanch them for 3 minutes and then plunge them into an ice bath)
- ⅓ cup of chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. of Romano cheese
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 squirt of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil to start and then if needed, you can drizzle more in until it gets to the texture you like.
For the flatbreads:
- 4 pieces of pre-made Naan garlic naan is great if you can find it
- The tips from 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 cup of shredded Asiago cheese
- A small block of Pecorino Romano
- Crushed red pepper
- Lemon zest
For the Pea Pesto:
- Combine all of the pesto ingredients into the mini prep processor (or food processor).
- Run the processor in grind mode until it's well combined. If necessary, ad more oil until it gets to the consistency that you like (I left mine a tiny bit thicker so that it would spread easier).
For the flatbreads:
- Preheat the over to 375.
- Lay the flatbreads on a pan and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- While the flatbreads bake, blanch the asparagus tip for 2 minutes and then plunge them into an ice water bath. Then drain and dry them.
- Spread the flatbreads with pea pesto and sprinkle with Asiago cheese.
- Then top them with the asparagus and the peas.
- Bake for 5 more minutes.
- Top them with shaved Pecorino Romano and sprinkle with brushed red pepper.
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don't forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn't your style, bookmark this post!