This Peppermint Ice Cream Pie recipe is super easy to make. It features a delicious Oreo crust, your favorite mint chocolate chip ice cream and whipped cream. The work for you is minimal and the response is always fantastic!
Peppermint Ice Cream Pie
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
In honor of my love for all things Chocolate and Peppermint, today I give you Peppermint Ice Cream Pie. This is actually a recipe that I made as a dessert to pass on Christmas Eve (as if we needed more desserts on that already full table!). It was extremely well received and with good reason.
First of all, what's not to love about the chocolate/peppermint combo in the form of an ice cream cake (or pie or whatever you want to call it!)? You've got the greatness-that-is an Oreo cookie crust. What a perfect way to anchor any dessert! And of course mint chocolate chip ice cream, a personal favorite! Top it off with some freshly whipped cream (or store bought to make life easier) and some swirls of chocolate sauce or mini chocolate chips and you've got yourself a pretty fantastic dessert.
In addition to fantastic flavor, the other clincher on this recipe is how quick and easy it is to make. Seriously you guys, a few simple ingredients and 10-15 minutes of minimal "work" on your part and then you pop that puppy in the freezer until it's time to dig in!
Either way, make this recipe and revel in how delicious it is. Yes, you will be the most popular guy or gal at the dessert table. And yes, you may or may not make another one after the event to keep in your freezer and dig into whenever the craving strikes (who, me? Never....).
Tips for making this ice cream pie recipe
- Let the peppermint ice cream sit out for 10 minutes (or longer if it’s super frozen) before assembling- that will let the ice cream soften enough to make it easier to assemble.
- Take your time when spreading the ice cream. The crust is pretty fragile and will break easily.
- I prefer freshly whipped cream (bonus points if you use a pastry tip when making this) but as Ina would say, “Store bought is fine!”
- I like to decorate it with mini chocolate chips or chocolate sauce (or both!)
- Freeze for at least an hour before digging in so that it can set.
Frequently asked questions about making this ice cream cake recipe
- How long does ice cream pie last in the freezer? A couple months- once it’s set, be sure to cover it!
- Can I make this gluten free? Yes! Get GF ice cream and use this recipe to make the crust with gluten-free Oreos!
- Can ice cream pie be made ahead? Yes, it’s better if made ahead so it has a chance to set (preferably an hour or more).
Make it a meal!
A few great recipes to round out and complete this meal would be:
- Italian Chicken Stew
- Mom's Meatloaf
- Roasted Beet Salad
- Summer Bounty Strawberry Salad
- Four Ingredient Chocolate Mousse
- Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Bars
Peppermint Ice Cream Pie
- 1 pre-made Oreo cookie crust
- 1 48 ounce container mint chocolate chip ice cream, the recipe uses about half of the box, give or take
- ½ pint heavy cream if you're whipping it yourself, you can use ½ pt. of heavy cream, 1 tsp. of vanilla extract and ¼ cup of confectioner's sugar whipped unt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 14 cup confectioner's sugar
- Chocolate sauce or mini chocolate chips for garnish or both if you like to live dangerously
- Pull ice cream out of the freezer for 5-10 minutes to soften (if the box has already been opened, but may take a minute or two longer to soften than an unopened box).
- While the ice cream softens, place heavy cream, vanilla extract and confctioner's sugar into a stand mixer with a whisk attachment or bowl with a hand mixer and whip until they form nice, fluffy peaks of whipped cream. Set aside.
- Carefully scoop ice cream into the pie crust, leaving a small amount of space on top for the layer of whipped cream. Using a spatula, smooth it out a bit on top so that it's level.
- Next, pipe or scoop whipped cream on top of the pie.
- If you're planning on garnishing with chocolate sauce and/or mini chocolate chips, add them at this point.
- Place the pie in the freezer to harden uncovered. Let it freeze for a couple of hours or longer and serve.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
Try some other no bake chocolate desserts:
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!