Baked Chicken Parmesan is a quick and easy version of a classic family favorite. Your family will fight for seconds!
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
While I didn't eat a ton of chicken parm when I was growing up, I got into it when I was a server at the Olive Garden. I liked to get it with a side of fettuccine alfredo, to make things extra unhealthy! So when I married a man who loves a good easy chicken parmesan recipe, I knew I should probably learn to make it myself.
Although most places fry the chicken, I opted to bake it both for ease and in an effort to be healthy. This this a pretty easy recipe and comes together really quickly as well- perfect for a weeknight dinner! It comes together deliciously crispy on the outside with perfectly tender chicken on the inside.
Tips for how to make chicken parmesan
- Filet the chicken breasts by cutting them length-wise to make four thin pieces. Then cover in plastic wrap and pound with a mallet. Try and make them all the same thickness (between ⅛ and ¼ inch).
- Season them well on both sides with salt and pepper. This is important because you want it to be flavorful.
- I turn these half way through cooking but you can also use baking racks on the pan (spray them well with cooking spray to avoid sticking) .
- I line my pan with parchment to provide easy clean up.
- I make large batches of my marinara sauce to have on hand for recipes like this (it's so easy and so good!). But like Ina says, if you don't have any homemade on hand, store bought is fine!
- This is best served right away!
Frequently asked questions about making Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Is chicken parmesan and chicken parmigiana the same? Yes.
- What goes with chicken parmesan? I like to serve this with spaghetti and more of the marinara sauce.
- Is Chicken Parmesan Italian? It originated in America in Italian American communities and was derived from Eggplant Parmesan).
- How long does chicken parmesan last in the refrigerator? Around 3 days, covered.
- How do you reheat chicken parmesan? In the oven or microwave.
- Can you freeze chicken parmesan? If you're going to freeze it I recommend freezing it once breaded but before cooking.
Make it a meal!
A few great recipes to round out and complete this meal would be:
- Three Cheese Garlic Bread
- Roasted Beet Salad
- Summer Bounty Strawberry Salad
- Four Ingredient Chocolate Mousse
- Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Bars
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Cooking spray
- 2 chicken breasts, filet and pounded thin- between ¼ and ⅛ inch thick
- ½ cup flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup Romano or Parmesan cheese + 1-2 Tablespoons for topping
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ - 1 cup marinara sauce + more if serving with pasta
- 1 ¼ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment. If using a baking rack, spray well with cooking spray.
- Take 3 shallow bowls and place flour in the first, beat the egg in the second and combine panko, ½ cup Romano or Parmesan cheese and garlic powder in the third. Set aside.
- Season pounded chicken pieces to taste with salt and peppers.
- Dredge each chicken piece in flour and tap of excess.
- Cover in egg so both sides are fully covered and tap off excess.
- Cover chicken in panko mixture until fully covered and tap off excess.
- Place the chicken pieces on the pan so they aren't touching and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes (if not using racks, turn once halfway through).
- Remove from the oven and turn the broiler on to high (leave the rack in the middle position). Spread a thin layer of sauce over the top of each piece of chicken.
- Divide the mozzarella cheese between each piece of chicken and sprinkle some Romano or Parmesan cheese on top.
- Return the pan to the oven and broil for 3-4 minutes to melt the cheese- watch it carefully so it doesn't burn.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
Try some other great chicken dinners:
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!