There’s nothing more cozy than Chicken and Biscuits and this recipe makes them super quick and easy and best of all- in one pan. You’ll definitely want to add this one into your rotation!
Chicken and Biscuits Recipe
Sometimes you just need a classic, down-home chicken dinner to warm your bones on a cold winter night (or at any time of the year, really). Currently it’s quite cold and snowy here, so this recipe is absolutely at the top of my dinner list.
Tender chicken and vegetables in a flavorful gravy and topped with soft and delicious biscuits. Once you try this, you’ll find yourself wanting to make it again and again!
Tips for making Chicken, Biscuits and Gravy
- You’ll whisk the flour into the vegetables and fat to make a roux- this will thicken your gravy.
- Make sure you cook the roux for a minute or two to cook off the flour flavor before adding liquid.
- I like to cut the refrigerated biscuits into quarters so that they’re bite-size and easier to eat.
- Don’t bother thawing the vegetables, this recipe is written to throw them right in frozen.
- If possible, use an oven-safe pan for the stovetop portion of this recipe so you can easily transfer it to the oven.
Helpful Ingredient Information:
- Chicken: You can use light or dark meat or a mixture of both- it’s all about your preference. If you don’t have leftover chicken, pick up a rotisserie chicken from your grocery store to save time and money.
- Vegetables: Honestly, keep it simple with your favorite frozen mixed vegetables. Onions and garlic add delicious flavor.
- Gravy: A mix of oil, butter and flour make a roux to thicken the gravy. Fresh thyme (or dried if that’s easier- use half a teaspoon if using dried), salt, pepper add flavor and a mix of chicken broth, white wine (or extra broth if you don’t cook with alcohol) and milk make a creamy gravy.
- Refrigerated biscuits: Make sure you get regular size refrigerated biscuits, not the Grands.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I use fresh vegetables instead of frozen? Sure, just blanch them for 2 minutes to ensure they cook through.
- Would this be a good recipe for leftover turkey? Absolutely! Any of the recipes on this site that use cooked chicken also taste fantastic with cooked turkey!
- Can I make this ahead? Yes, I’d encourage you to make it and cool the gravy without the biscuits. When you’re ready to bake, reheat on the stove over medium heat, stirring often (you may need to loosen it up with a bit of milk) and then once warm, add the biscuits and bake.
- Can I freeze chicken and biscuits? You can freeze the gravy for up to 3 months in an airtight container. I would wait to do the biscuits until you’re ready to bake and serve.
- What about leftovers and reheating? Creamy chicken and biscuits lasts for 3-4 days covered in the refrigerator and reheat best in individual portions in the microwave.
Ingredients to prep ahead:
- Chop onions
- Peel garlic
- Shred chicken
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5 star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below ⬇️ and/or a review in the comment section further down. Check out my Amazon Store for all my favorite tools, including those used in this recipe. And follow @thelifejolie on Instagram and TikTok!
One Pot Chicken and Biscuits
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (or ½ teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables, unthawed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper,
- 1 can refrigerated biscuits, quartered (NOT Grands)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter and oil over medium high heat in an oven-safe sauté pan or braiser.
- Add onion and thyme to the pan and sauté until onion has softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute until fragrant.
- Whisk in 3 flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring often.
- Add broth, wine and milk and stir to combine.
- Stir in chicken, vegetables, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 6-7 minutes stirring periodically to thicken (reduce heat if needed).
- Top evenly with quartered biscuits and bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubble and the biscuits are baked through and golden. Cool for 3 minutes and serve immediately.