Try some other grab-and-go breakfast recipes like Breakfast Cookies, Broccoli Cheddar Quiche and Puff Pastry Egg Muffins.
Breakfast Burrito recipe
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
You know what we don't have enough of here in Western, NY? Mexican-inspired breakfast options. When we lived in Las Vegas right after we got married, we made a habit of going to the diners near our apartment pretty often. And there were always a variety of brunch options beyond your basic omelettes and pancakes. Naturally, I always found myself going for the burritos.
Two kids and a business later, life is definitely busier around here in the best way possible. But I'm able to fulfill my craving with these freezer breakfast burritos I'm going to share with you today. They're easy to make ahead but are also great, served right away!
Tips for how to make a breakfast burrito
- If there seems to be a lot of grease once you've browned the sausage, drain it before moving forward. If not then don't worry about it.
- Be sure to whisk the eggs, water really well and season with salt and pepper before adding to the pan to have nice, fluffy eggs.
- Cool the egg mixture slightly before assembling the burritos.
- Be sure to roll the burritos tightly so that they stay shut.
How many eggs are in a breakfast burrito?
I use 6 large eggs for this particular recipes. I originally tested it with 8 eggs, but ended up with far too much filling.
How do you fold a burrito?
Start with a fajita-size (8 inch) flour tortilla on a clean surface like a cutting board. Once the filling and cheese are on the bottom half of the tortilla, take the left and right sides of the tortilla and fold them in over the filling (they don't have to reach all the way to the middle). Now fold the bottom of the tortilla up over the folded sides and carefully roll it forward towards the top of the tortilla, being careful to keep the sides closed and ending with the seam on the bottom.
Can I change up some of the filling ingredient add-ins?
Totally! Change up the breakfast sausage or use something else in place of the bell pepper. Just know that juicier veggies like tomatoes might leave you with a soggier burrito, specifically if you freeze then thaw them to cook.
How do you freeze a burrito?
Wrap each rolled burrito in parchment and place the burritos on a sheet pan, seam side down. Then freeze the burritos. Once they're frozen solid, place the frozen burritos in a plastic zipper bag and store in the freezer.
How do you reheat a frozen burrito?
You have two options to cook these directly from the freezer:
- Place the burrito in the microwave for 1-2 minutes of high or until heated through.
- Baked at 350 degrees for around 15 minutes or until heated through.
Do I have to freeze these?
No! You can also cook the burritos right after assembling them. I like them best in a large skillet over medium, browned on all sides.
How do long can you keep a breakfast burrito?
These last up to 3 months in the freezer. Once thawed (or if you don't freeze them) they last around 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Ingredients for making these Breakfast Burritos
- Breakfast sausage
- Red bell pepper
- Green onion
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
Ingredients to prep ahead:
- Remove sausage from casings
- Dice pepper
- Wash green onions
- Shred cheese
Make-Ahead Breakfast Burrito recipe
- ½ pound breakfast sausage
- ¾ cup diced red bell pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped (dark and light green parts only)
- 6 large eggs
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 fajita size (8 inch) tortillas
- ½ cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Combine sausage, peppers and onions in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Saute until the sausage is browned and the veggies have softened, using a wooden spoon to break up the sausage and stirring often, about 7 minutes. Drain and return to pan.
- While sausage mixture cooks, whisk eggs, water, salt and pepper until really well combined and slightly foamy.
- Add the eggs to the pan and cook stirring often until scrambled dry, about 5 minutes. remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Lay the tortillas on a clean surface. Spoon ⅛ of the egg mixture into the middle of the tortilla. Then sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of cheese onto the egg mixture.
- Take the left and right sides of the tortilla and fold them in over the filling (they don't have to reach all the way to the middle).
- Now fold the bottom of the tortilla up over the folded sides and carefully roll it forward towards the top of the tortilla, being careful to keep the sides closed and ending with the seam on the bottom.
- If you're not cooking right away, wrap each burrito in parchment and freeze until you're ready to eat. To reheat from the freezer, either microwave for 1-2 minutes on high or until heated through or bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- If cooking right away, brown on all sides in a large pan over medium heat (I grease the pan with cooking spray). Serve immediately.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
Leave a Reply