Tips for how to make enchiladas
- As I mentioned above, this is an awesome way to use leftover cooked chicken. Another great hack is using rotisserie chicken.
- I mix some seasonings in with the premade red enchilada sauce before mixing it with the other ingredients because I like a bit of added flavor.
- The filling is a mixture of shredded chicken, shredded cheese and part of the doctored up (enhanced?) enchilada sauce.
- Spread a little enchilada sauce on the bottom of a baking pan so keep them from sticking to the bottom.
- I’ve found that corn tortillas tend to crack if you use them cold or even room temperature. I like to heat a medium nonstick frying pan over medium high heat and warm each corn tortilla for about 15-20 seconds per side before adding the chicken mixture and rolling.
- Some people also dip the tortillas in hot enchilada sauce before rolling, but I prefer to simply heat them.
- Be sure to roll each enchilada tight before adding seam side down to the baking pan.
- Spray the tops of the enchiladas with cooking spray before baking to help them crisp up a bit- you’ll add the remaining enchilada sauce sauce and cheese once they’ve baked for a bit.
- Remaining enchiladas make great leftovers!
Can you freeze these?
Yes! I’d encourage you to freeze before baking and thaw completely before cooking. They should last around 3 months in the freezer if well wrapped.
What’s the best way to make enchiladas ahead?
I’d say assemble all the way up to just before baking and store in the fridge. Remove from the fridge about 30 minutes before baking to bring to room temperature.
What do you serve with enchiladas?
Can you make these without chicken?
Ingredients for making Easy Enchiladas:
- Red enchilada sauce
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Ground coriander
- Cayenne pepper
- Cooked chicken
- Cheddar cheese
- Corn tortillas
Ingredients to prep ahead:
- Cook and shred chicken (or buy and shred a rotisserie chicken
- Shred cheese
These Easy Chicken Enchiladas may not be the most authentic, but they are seriously delicious and come together really quickly! This is the perfect weeknight meal!
- 12 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional- taste the sauce first and if you feel it's not spicy enough add this)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 1/2 cups shedded cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium high heat.
While the pan heats, whisk together enchilada sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, ground coriander, kosher sauce and cayenne pepper (if using) until well combined. Place a thin la.yer of the enchilada sauce over the bottom of an 11" x 7" baking pan (around 1/4 cup).
Take 1/3 cup of the enchilada sauce and combine in a large bowl with chicken and 1 cup shredded cheese. Mix until evenly distributed. Set remaining sauce aside for later.
When the pan is hot, heat each corn tortilla for 15-30 seconds per side to keep them from cracking.
Once heated, remove to a plate and place around 2 Tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the tortilla.
Roll tightly and place into the prepared baking pan. Repeat this process until the pan is full and you've used all of the chicken mixture.
Spray the tops of the enchilada with cooking spray and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and top evenly with remaining enchilada sauce and remaining cheese.
Return to the oven and bake for 10 more minutes. Serve immediately with the toppings of your choice.
It may take one or two tries to find the right amount of time to warm each tortilla (usually for me the first one or two crack but then I find my stride). Don't skip that step, as raw ones will crack.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!