Mom's Favorite Ham Salad is a killer way to use leftover ham. It's ready in minutes with just a few ingredients, this classic recipe is a total keeper!
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of ham. Specifically, deli ham (I had a bad experience a long time ago, I'll leave it at that!). But over the years I've come back around, specifically to the baked hams we have at holidays (deli ham is still not my thing). So when my mom brought up her love for a good ham salad sandwich, I knew I should probably give it a try.
So a few weeks back when I make my super easy Crock Pot Ham I figured I should give it a whirl. I love that the rest of the ingredients are things most of us already have hanging out in our fridge or pantry. This comes together in minutes giving you a simple, delicious and satisfying lunch and a great way to repurpose leftover ham!
Try these other recipes featuring leftover ham recipes:
Tips for making this Ham Salad Recipe
- Use sweet onion! It's a more subtle flavor and won't make your significant other want to avoid kissing you.
- Use a food processor- it's super efficient.
- Before placing the ham into the food processor, I roughly dice that (and the onions and celery) so that I can measure them out accurately. Then the food processor does the rest.
- Although I give amounts for ingredient, I want you to taste the ham salad and adjust the ingredients to your taste. You should be doing this with everything you cook, but this recipe is totally adjustable to your unique taste.
Frequently asked questions about making deviled ham
- What is ham salad made of? There are a variety of ingredients you could include, but I like to keep things super simple with ham, onion, celery, mayonnaise, sweet relish and a little salt and pepper.
- How long is ham salad good for? 3-5 days covered in the refrigerator.
- Can you freeze prepared ham salad? Yes, but you'll want to freeze it right after making the ham salad.
- Can you tell me how to serve ham salad? This can be served as a sandwich filling. If you want a lighter option, spread it onto crackers or rice cake or make a wrap. Or even better yet- make a lettuce wrap! For a quick and easy appetizer, you can get pre-made phillo cups and spoon some ham salad into them- instant canapes!
- How to make ham salad without a food processor? You can chop the ingredients up by hand, but you want it to be more of a mince- a really, really fine chop, so that you're making a spread.
Make it a meal!
A few great recipes to round out and complete this meal would be:
- Roasted Beet Salad
- Summer Bounty Strawberry Salad
- Everything Pita Chips
- Four Ingredient Chocolate Mousse
- Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Bars
Mom's Favorite Ham Salad
- 2 cups leftover ham, roughly diced
- ¼ cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sweet relish
- Kosher salt, to taste (start with a pinch)
- Ground back pepper to taste (start with a pinch)
- Place ham into the food processor and process until it's finely minced. Remove from food processor and place into a mixing bowl.
- Place onion into the food processor and process until it's finely minced. Remove from food processor and place into a mixing bowl.
- Place celery into the food processor and process until it's finely minced. Remove from food processor and place into a mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, relish and a pinch of salt and pepper to the mixing bowl and stir well until full combined.
- Taste and adjust the ingredients to your taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!