Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Casserole is an excellent way to use leftover holiday ham. Cheesy, creamy and super easy to make, it’s a dinner the whole family will love!
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Try these other recipes featuring leftover ham recipes:
It’s always nice to have some tasty options to repurpose leftovers, so I’ve been throwing together some super tasty options featuring ham. Scalloped potatoes with ham seemed like a tasty combo! This is typically a popular combo to begin with, so the flavors are a natural fit.
This is a super tasty variation of my Mom’s Homemade Scalloped Potatoes, which I made using my easy Crock Pot Ham. I wanted this particular recipe to be nice and cheesy, because adding cheese is usually always a good idea! The great thing is, once you’ve thrown it together, the oven does the rest of the work for you. Steam up some veggies and you’ve got the perfect family dinner!
Tips for making this Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Recipe
- The sizes of the potatoes may vary, so try to have a few extra on hand in case you need them.
- I peel my potatoes but if you don’t mind the skin, you don’t have to do this step.
- You want the potatoes to be really thinly sliced. A mandoline mikes this really quick and easy but you can also carefully use a sharp knife.
- I shop the ham slices into bite-size pieces around 1/2-3/4 of an inch in size.
- Spray down the baking pan to help prevent sticking.
- When you’re making the layers of potatoes, try to make it as even as possible. That said, they may overlap a little and that’s ok.
- You want the milk to almost cover the potatoes, but not completely. You can always add a bit more milk if you need to.
- I start these covered for 30 minutes and then uncover and cook another 30 minutes so they get nice and brown.
Frequently asked questions about making Ham and Potato Casserole
- Can you freeze au gratin potatoes? Yes, but you’ll want to freeze midway through cooking to help maintain their texture.
- Can I freeze leftover cheesy potatoes? Yes, but wrap them well and bake covered once thawed.
- How long do cheesy potatoes last in the fridge? Around 3-5 days covered provided this is made within a day after cooking the ham.
- Can you make scalloped potatoes and ham for a crowd? Totally! Just double the recipe and bake in a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Can you make scalloped potatoes and ham ahead of time? Yes, I’d assemble and bake off and then cool and refrigerate. When it’s time to reheat, cover and bake until heated through. You could also assemble and bake just before serving is serving the same day as you’re assembling.
Make it a meal!
A few great recipes to round out and complete this meal would be:
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Casserole is an excellent way to use leftover holiday ham. Cheesy, creamy and super easy to make, it's a dinner the whole family will love!
- Cooking spray
- 6-7 medium potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups leftover sliced ham, chopped to pieces around 1/2" - 3/4" in size
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease 9" x 9" pan.
Lay 1/3 of the potatoes into a single layer on the bottom of the pan, shingling them (it's ok if they overlap a little).
Top the potatoes with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 2/3 cup ham and 1/2 cup cheese.
Next, shingle 1/3 of the potatoes into the pan.
Top the second layer of potatoes with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 2/3 cup ham and 1/2 cup cheese.
Shingle the remaining 1/3 of the potatoes into the pan.
Top the third layer of potatoes with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder and 2/3 cup ham.
In a medium bowl whisk milk into the four. Pour evenly over the potatoes. It should almost cover the potatoes (you can add a bit of milk if needed).
Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese an cover. Bake covered for 30 minutes.
Remove cover and bake uncovered for an additional 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!