Chicken Salad Stuffed Tomatoes are a simple, gluten-free twist on a chicken salad sandwich. They're made with Greek Yogurt and with apples and they're super easy to make ahead. They make a delicious healthy lunch or game day appetizer!
It's nice to have a healthy, delicious option up your sleeve that's super quick and delicious to put together, yet satisfying to eat. Bonus points if it's gluten-free! Meet Chicken Salad Stuffed Tomatoes.
Chicken salad is one of my favorite things to bring to work for lunch. It is so quick and easy to put together and very satisfying. I like to prepare the shredded chicken in my slow cooker in advance and freeze it in one cup portions to make my life easier. I think the components of an excellent chicken salad are chicken that you cooked (none of this canned chicken nonsense!), crisp celery for crunch, sweet/tart apples, some tasty herbs and seasonings to give it a little something extra, a bit of mayo and some greek yogurt to bind it all together and lemon juice to brighten everything up.
While this is always delicious as a sandwich with some fresh lettuce and tomato, I like to take the healthiness factor a step further and hollow out tomatoes to serve the chicken salad in. Not only if it extra healthy, but it's so pretty and easy to make ahead of time.
You can use large tomatoes or small Campari tomatoes (which are a bit bigger than cherry tomatoes) for a great appetizer to pass. This would be the perfect light lunch to serve to a group along with salad like this one or a nice cup of soup like this. I like to prepare the chicken salad and hollow out the tomatoes the night before so that all I have to do is stuff them the next day.
Chicken Salad Stuffed Tomatoes
Source: The Life Jolie
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 large stalk of celery, diced
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- 1 single serving container of plain greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon of dill
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Tomatoes, tops removed and hollowed out (this fills about 2-4 larger tomatoes like beefsteak or around 20 Campari tomatoes)- If the tomatoes won't sit flat, take a very sharp knife and take a thin layer off of the bottom to help it stay put- be careful too keep it thin so you don't create a hole in the bottom of the tomato.
Mix the first 9 ingredients well. Taste them as you go along and tweak the seasonings to your taste.
Carefully stuff the tomatoes with chicken salad. If they won't stand up without falling, slice a very thing slice off of the bottom to flatten and create a base (be careful not to take off too much!).
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don't forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!