Easy Apple Pie recipe
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Is there anything more classic than a delicious and easy apple pie? This American classic is an old standby at many of our favorite holidays and has fall written all over it.
I'd been meaning to develop and apple pie recipe for a while, but I have a spotty past with pie.So it keep it easy on myself, I used a premade pie crust and focused on making the most delicious filling I could. I through in a little bourbon to spice things up a bit and the results were so darn good, I'll never make another homemade apple pie recipe again!
Tips for making apple pie
- Use pre-made crust. There are some delicious options out there so you don't have to fight with the pie dough. I prefer the refrigerated crusts since they come with two (this is, after all, a double crust pie).
- Be sure to mix the apples and other ingredients in a large bowl well so the apples are evenly coated.
- Make sure you cut a couple slits in the top crust with the tip of your knife to allow the pie to vent as it cooks.
- I like to brush it with an egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar before baking- this is optional, but I love the texture it adds and also how pretty it looks.
- I always line a baking sheet and place the pie dish on it so that if any of the apple pie filling bubbles out and leaks, it doesn't make a mess of your oven (ask me how I know that...).
- Keep an eye on the pie as it bakes and if needed, cover the outer crust edge- you can do with a Pie crust shield or cover with foil to prevent it from burning before the pie is done.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
What are the best kind of apples to use in apple pie?
Not all apples are created equally. You want an apple that will stay firm as it bakes. The best apples to bake with are 20 Ounce, Granny Smith, Cortland and Braeburn.
How long do you cook apple pie?
This recipe bakes for around 1 hour.
Does leftover pie need to be refrigerated?
Technically no, but I feel that it lasts longer if you refrigerate it after cutting into it.
Can I freeze apple pie?
Yes. I encourage you to freeze it before baking. Wrap it well and when you're ready to bake, place it into the oven frozen and add an extra 10-15 minutes to baking time.
Ingredients for making this Apple Pie Recipe
- Pre-made pie crusts
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cloves
- Kosher salt
- Corn starch
- Turbinado sugar
Discover the secret to hosting Thanksgiving without all the stress! Prepsgiving is your FREE guide to making a delicious Thanksgiving feast the easy way.
This Easy Apple Pie recipe is a total keeper! With the perfect balance of sweet and tart, this will be your new go-to recipe an All-American classic dessert.
- 2 pre-made pie crusts
- 1 Tablespoon flour for dusting surface
- 8 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced about ½ inch thick
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 generous pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 generous pinch ground cloves
- 1 generous pinch kosher salt
- 1 ½ Tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (about 1 small lemon)
- 2 Tablespoons bourbon
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon Turbinado sugar
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment and set aside.
Dust a clean surface with flour and unroll one of you pie crusts onto it. roll out over-so-slightly and place into pie plate pressing it in slightly (there should be some extra going over the edges of the pie plate). Place in the refrigerator to chill while preparing the filling.
In a large mixing bowl combine apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, corn starch, lemon zest and bourbon. Mix well until apples are evenly coated.
Place apples into the prepared pie pan and crust.
Scatter cubes of butter over the top of the apple mixture.
Place second crust on top of the pie. Crimp the bottom crust together with the top crust (I gently twisted the bottom crust edges into the top crust edges with my fingers for a more rustic look- it's more forgiving).
Use the tip of a sharp knife to cut a few slits onto the top crust.
Whisk egg and water and lightly brush egg wash onto top crust of the pie. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
Place pie plate onto prepared sheet pan and place into the oven.
Bake for 20 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 350 for an additional 40 minutes, covering edges if needed.
Remove from oven and cool to room temperature before serving.
Be sure to keep an eye on the pie as it bakes and cover the outside crust if it's browning too fast.
Cool for 4 hours before serving.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions!
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!