Green Bean Casserole Recipe
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Is it even thanksgiving without Green Bean Casserole? I feel like this is a fixture on every holiday table and I get it. We American's love a good casserole, and the crispy onions on top add the very best crunch. It's one of our country's favorite side dishes for a holiday. But if I'm being completely honest, I've never loved this with all the canned cream of mushroom soup and mushy beans.
But a completely from scratch, homemade version of a fresh green beans casserole is the perfect way to take all the great things about this side dish, but making it way better by using fresh ingredients! So an even better Thanksgiving side!
Tips for how to make green bean casserole from scratch
- Try to dice the shallots and mushrooms around the same size- it's ok if they aren't completely uniform, but it helps if they're at least a similar size so they cook evenly.
- Make sure you stir the roux often so it doesn't burn.
- Reduce the heat to low when you add the half-and-half and the milk so that it doesn't scald and be sure to stir often.
- Make sure you trim and cut green beans to about 1 ½ inch pieces to make it easier to eat.
- Be sure to cover the casserole for the first portion of baking. You'll uncover and sprinkle with french fried onions. for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Can I use frozen green beans?
Yes, just add them to the pan frozen and skip the blanching step completely.
Can I use onions instead of shallots?
Yes but it will have a slightly different flavor- I prefer shallots because I like the flavor better, but regular onions will work in a pinch.
Can I make green bean casserole ahead of time?
How long do you cook green bean casserole?
Ingredients for making the best green bean casserole
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Half and half
- Romano cheese
- Green beans
- French fried onions
Best ingredients to prep ahead:
- Trim green beans
- Dice shallots
- Dice mushrooms (only if making within 2 days)
- Large saute pan
- Wooden spoon
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large pot
- 9" x 13" pan
Discover the secret to hosting Thanksgiving without all the stress! Prepsgiving is your FREE guide to making a delicious Thanksgiving feast the easy way.
Homemade Green Bean Casserole recipe
- 5 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup finely diced shallots
- 1 cup finely diced mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 Tablespoons Romano cheese
- 32 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 2 cups French fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil on a different burner.
- Add shallots and mushrooms to the saute pan and cook for about 5 minutes until softened, stirring often.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with flour and stir until there are no lumps remaining.
- Cook roux for 1-2 minutes stirring often.
- Whisk in half and half, milk and Romano cheese and reduce heat to low.
- Cook until thickened stirring often, around 2-4 minutes and remove from heat.
- While the sauce cooks, blanch green beans for 5 minutes and plunge into an ice bath to stop the cooking once drained.
- Combine beans with sauce and pour into an even layer in a 9" x 13" pan.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and sprinkle evenly with French fried onions.
- Bake uncovered for 10 more minutes and serve immediately.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!