Gah, this appetizer!! I seriously cannot even handle it, I love it so! These Shrimp with Pesto and Prosciutto are such a delicious and elegant appetizer option for a dinner party or a relaxing night on your deck enjoying a glass of wine and some pickers with your closest friends. Because now that the weather is nice, I know you're looking for an excuse to pop that bottle and enjoy every ounce of warmth before it's gone (or maybe that's just me!).
I have a confession to make. Many, many moons ago, I was working as a server at the local Yacht Club. It was the wedding of the club's Commodore and his wife and it was all hands on deck (see what I did there?). During the cocktail hour they had the usual passed hors d'oeuvres. Bacon wrapped scallops, canapes. All the usual suspects that you'd expect to enjoy with you booze at this type of event. There were also the most amazing jumbo shrimp covered in pesto and wrapped in prosciutto.
Being the burgeoning foodie that I was, I simply had to try one. So a friend and I grabbed a couple of them and snuck off to the ladies locker room where we knew our male boss wouldn't be able to catch us. That first bite was a revelation! It was rich, savory and decadent and I couldn't get enough! So naturally we snuck an entire tray back there and had at it (hungry teenagers- we were the worst!).
Now here I am, many years later. I have to be honest, I still don't regret sneaking those shrimp. In fact, my biggest regret about this whole thing is not replicating the recipe sooner. But I finally bit the bullet and grabbed a bag of shrimp. I would have loved to use jumbo shrimp, but with my limited budget those gorgeous large argentine shrimp that they have at Trader Joes worked just fine.
This recipe couldn't be easier and takes around 10-15 minutes tops. It's perfect to whip up for that upcomin girls night and makes an impressivbe dinner party starter. And you can always double or triple the recipe for a crowd. I kept it super simple by using jarred Pesto sauce but I bet this would be even better if you made it with homemade pesto, like my Garlic Scape Pesto. Either way get these little guys into your oven- you will not regret it!
Shrimp with Pesto and Prosciutto
- 15 large raw shrimp thawed if necessary, peeled and deveined (you can leave the tails if you want to)
- ⅓ + ¼ cup of pesto
- 15 thin slices of prosciutto
- Preheat your broiler to high and move the oven rack to about 6 inches from the top of the oven.
- Toss the shrimp in the pesto until well coated.
- Wrap each piece of shrimp in a slice pf prosciutto and skewer it with a toothpick to secure.
- Place each shrimp in a single layer on a sheet pan and broil on high heat for around 5 minutes (keep an eye on them based on your oven's hot spots). Serve immediately.
Make it a meal!
A few great recipes to round out and complete this meal are:
- Easiest Ever Hot Artichoke Dip
- Smothered Pork Tenderloin in Apple Cider Gravy
- Cheesy Garlic Knot
- Beet Salad Recipe with Feta and Dill
- Sour Cream Cookies
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Caprese Quiche
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don't forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Linked up at