Crockpot Sausage and Peppers is a delicious and easy way to make some fantastic sausage sandwiches. Just dump the ingredients into your crockpot (or instant pot) and let it do the rest of the work!
Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
It never occurred to me to make an Italian sausage and peppers recipe for the crockpot until my sister told me about it. She said it was crazy easy and so good, so naturally I had to try it. And when I saw how easy it was how how minimal the work was, I knew this would be perfect for my dump recipe series. You literally just dump it into the pot, cover and cook!
This is the epitome of a dump recipes. You basically just slice some onions and peppers, halve the Italian sausage links and a splash of white wine if you want and throw it all into the slow cooker, instant pot or zipper bag. It's really that easy! And totally delicious as well!
Tips for making Sausage Peppers and Onions in the crockpot
- I try to slice the peppers and onions on the thicker side so that they don't cook down to nothing.
- It doesn't matter what color peppers you go with- I like the flavor of red peppers best, but that's more personal preference.
- I like to cut my sausage links in half to make them a more manageable size but if you prefer to keep them whole, that's fine too.
- Be sure you're cooking these on low. I tested them on high, but they just didn't turn out right texturally.
Can you put raw sausage in a slow cooker?
Yes, they will cook up just fine in the crock pot.
Can I use precooked sausage?
I wouldn't recommend it for this recipe.
Can I use red wine instead of white wine?
Sure- it will change the flavor and color but will still be delicious!
How long do sausages take to cook in the slow cooker?
These cook for 4 hours on low. I do not recommend cooking on high.
How do you serve sausage and peppers?
I like to serve them on a hoagie roll or bun with provolone or mozzarella cheese, but you can also eat when with a fork and knife and the sides of your choice.
Can you freeze sausage and bell peppers?
Yes, but do it prior to cooking.
How long do sausage and peppers last?
These last 3-4 days covered in the refrigerator.
Sausage and Peppers Recipe ingredients
- Italian sausage links
- Bell peppers
- White wine
Make it a meal!
A few great recipes to round out and complete this meal would be:
- Baked Oven Fries
- Mexican Bean Salad
- Greens and Beans
- Marinated Vegetable Salad
- Tuna Macaroni Salad
- Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies
- Easy Chocolate Pie
Ingredients to prep ahead:
- Cut peppers
- Cut onions
Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers is a delicious and easy way to make some fantastic sausage sandwiches. Just dump the ingredients into your crockpot (or instant pot) and let it do the rest of the work!
- 1 Package Italian sausage links, halved (around 1 ¼ pounds)
- 2 Bell peppers, sliced on the thicker side (any color you'd like)
- 2 Onions, sliced on the thicker side
- 1 splash white wine (optional)
- ½ cup broth or water (only if using Instant Pot)
- Hero rolls
- Provolone or mozzarella cheese, sliced
Place sausage, peppers and onion into the slow cooker and top with a splash of wine (or place the ingredients into a zipper bag and freeze- thaw before cooking).
Cover the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on low heat.
Serve immediately. (Optional- you can toast cut hero rolls for 5 minutes at 350 degrees, top with cooked sausage, peppers, onions and slices of cheese. Return to the oven nd bake 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted).
If using instant pot, add ½ cup water or chicken broth. Cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes and do a quick release. Serve immediately.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions!
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!