My kids do not stop begging for these Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins! They’re perfectly moist with mini chocolate chips sprinkled throughout- this recipe is a keeper!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
There are two things in this life that are certain. My kids and husband love bananas. And my kids and husband love chocolate. So naturally, the combination of the two is a huge win in our household. My girls beg for these allllll the time.
These banana muffins are a variation on my Grandma Eve’s amazingly moist Banana Bread (it really is the best ever!). Fun fact, in the weeks leading up to Alice’s birth, I made this Banana Bread recipe every single weekend to pass the time while we waited for her to arrive.
This is one of those recipes that is in my bones and the most delicious way to use up ripe bananas. And what better way to add a little something extra to this banana muffin recipe than by throwing in some chocolate chips? Anything to make it acceptable to eat chocolate in the morning, amirite?!
Tips for making Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Don’t over mix the batter- It’s best to mix until the batter just comes together. You can use a whisk or a fork if that makes it easier to tell.
- Prepare your muffin tin- Give each cup a good spray down with cooking spray so that the muffins with pop right out with no problem.
- Fill the cups to the top- This recipe will fill 12 cups all the way to the top if you scrap every last drop of the batter out of your bowl. You’ll understand why in the next tip.
- Begin baking at a higher temperature and then reduce the temperature for nice, high muffin tops-This is a trick I recently picked up from Sally’s Baking Addiction and it is a game changer. The higher starting temperature allows the tops of the muffins to raise while the reduced temperature then cooks the middles. I’m pretty sure my muffin baking will never be the same, so thank you, Sally!
- Slather them with butter for a truly decadent muffin experience- These are fantastic on their own, but I like to add a little salted butter on top!
My kids do not stop begging for these Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins! They're perfectly moist with mini chocolate chips sprinkled throughout- this recipe is a keeper!
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 ripe bananas (around 1/3 of a cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (you can also mix a little lemon juice or white vinegar with milk)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and nutmeg. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl mash the bananas until they're pretty well mushed and most of the lumps are out. You can use the stand mixer whisk attachment or just a fork.
Add eggs, buttermilk and sugar to the bowl and mix until well combined.
Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
Distribute the batter between all 12 muffin cups, they should all be filled to the top.
Sprinkle a few more mini chocolate chips onto the top of the batter in each cup.
Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees and then without opening the oven, turn the temperature down to 350 degrees and bake for another 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes and serve immediately.
Once cooled completely, these will last up to a few days in an air-tight container on your counter.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions!
Looking for some other tasty muffin recipes?
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!