It's not a party without this classic 7 layer dip- it's one of those epic appetizers that people can't stop eating! Make this for you next party!
7 Layer Dip
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Everyone has their own version of 7 layer bean dip, amirite? At least they do around here. I can't think of a pot luck or party that I've gone to where there hasn't been some variation of this fantastic recipe, and I'm not even a little bit sad about it.
Now, if you're a long time reader, you know that I'm a 7 layer enthusiast and have probably checked out or even made my Hot 7 Layer Bean Dip and my 7 Layer Taco Salad (both amazing, strongly encourage you to make them!). And what's not to like? A bunch of fantastic flavors that all compliment each other in one (or many) perfect bite (s).
This particular recipes comes from Wendy, who has been a neighbor of my parents for basically my entire life. Growing up, we lived on a cul-de-sac and hung out with some of the other families in the neighborhood. They all had kids around my age and we all had pools. Summers were so much fun and I remember Wendy's 7 Layer Mexican dip at a ton of different cook outs.
We all went nuts over it and I was thrilled when it found it's way into the cookbook of recipes from friends and family that my mom and aunt made for me as a bridal shower gift!
Tips for making 7 Layer Taco Dip
- This is best made the night before.
- Make sure you remove all the seeds and dry the tomatoes as well as you can as they can create residual moisture. I use Roma tomatoes as they tend to have less seeds.
- This recipes makes 2 nine inch pie plates, which is quite a lot of taco dip. You can easily halve the recipe if you aren't looking to serve a lot of people. Bonus points if you get disposable pie plates for super easy clean up!
- And offset spatula is really helpful for spreading the wet ingredients evenly.
- Don't skimp on the lemon juice, it helps keep the avocado from turning brown.
- The Jalapeno Bean dip can be tricky to find if you don't know where to look. In my store, it's kept with the chips, not in the Mexican food aisle. I used Frito Lays brand.
Frequently asked questions about making this 7 Layer Dip Recipe
- Is 7 layer bean dip served cold? This particular one is. I also have an awesome hot 7 layer bean dip if you'd rather a hot dip.
- How long does taco dip last in the fridge? I'd say 3 days tops. This is best served the day after you make it.
- How long can 7 layer dip sit out? No more than 2 hours. Better safe than sorry.
- Can 7 layer dip be made the night before? Yes, and this particular recipe is meant to be made the night before. That said, it still tastes great if you dig in after assembling.
Make it a meal!
A few great recipes to round out and complete this meal would be:
- Mexican Lasagna Roll-ups
- Mexican Bean Salad
- Ground Beef Oven Baked Tacos
- Cajun Black Bean and Corn Salad
Classic 7 Layer Dip
- 2 cans jalapeno bean dip (the one in the can near the chips- I used Frito Lays brand)
- 3 avocados, mashed
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounce container sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (green parts only)
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1-2 cans chopped black olives
- 16 ounces shredded cheddar
- Doritos or tortilla chips for serving
- Spread the bean dip in an even layer on the bottom of each pie plate.
- In a medium bowl combine the mashed avocado, lemon juice, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Spread in a single layer on top of the bean dip on each pie plate.
- In another medium bowl combine sour cream, mayonnaise and taco seasoning.
- Spread in a single layer on top of the avocado mixture on each pie plate.
- Sprinkle the green onions on top of the sour cream mixture on each pie plate (use these sparingly).
- Sprinkle to tomatoes over the green onion layer on each pie plate.
- Sprinkle the black olives over the tomato layer on each pie plate.
- Sprinkle to the cheese over the top of the dip on each pie plate.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving. Serve with Doritos or tortilla chips.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it 🙂 I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @thelifejolie so I can share it <3
Other great dip recipes are:
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
Leave a Reply